Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone had any reports from Kansas thus far. I will be hunting about 45 miles West of Wichita from Nov 15th - 22nd. It will be my first time hunting outside of Arkansas and I was wondering if any of you who has hunting KS before during this time could give me any pointers. The land we are hunting has alot of CRP and a few wheat fields. It has some rolling hills and has several plots of woods in between the fields. I think my focus will be trying to find the best bottleneck areas that I can and waiting them out. The rut should be in full swing at that time (I hope so anyway) so I am not real sure how much I should focus on the wheat fields.

Any help you all could give would be appreciated.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks alot. I remembered that you were planning a trip again this year. It wont be long now. Good luck to you and I hope you get a wallhanger. How many years have you hunted KS?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Allen, I think you got it pretty much figured out. Hunt vantage points overlooking bottle necks and I'm sure you'll have deer coming by you.

I ain't real good at sitting so what I do is study the layout of the land and slowly move from vantage point to vantage point glassing as I go along. I always keep off of the skyline while I'm slipping along, and I'll stop by any bush or object that gives me some concealment when I stop to look things over. If your lucky you may get some chances to do some stalks, which to me, is the most fun way to hunt critters! Good luck

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
where I hunt its really wide open - 95% open praries and corn/wheat fields with a very few draws and "crick" bottoms. your only hope if for a big one to come on down and chase does in those bottoms

pheasant season will break a lot of the prarie bucks out and down into the bottoms - so will harvest and bad weather

out there, I dont know that you can overhunt a place - last year I shot a big 8, nicked him, the Dad shot the same buck from the same stand a day before and nicked him and the next week, same stand my buddy shot him - one nick on the back, one across the chest and he lunged him - 144" 8 point I think it was

I stand hunt bottlenecks not unlike Arkansas hunting. I would prefer a big scrape there and/or rubs - but really in this time frame, you need a hot doe to luck by with a big buck on her tail

HUNT ALL DAY IF YOU CAN

I dont but stay as long as I can and take as short a break as I can

Best day I ever had .... bitter frickin cold, maybe 10 degrees, brutal winds and I saw 8 bucks that morning, one was a MONSTER broken racked buck but the day before I'd been oh so close to shooting a 150"+ 10 and I was holding out for that buck.

Warm weather sucks but the deer will still be around

I've been 6-7 years I reckon now ... I've killed 3 bucks, a 125" 8 first year, a non-typical one year and a 130" 11 point one year with my recurve.

Hope for cold weather - take lots of pictures

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man I am getting excited. Especially with this cold weather here this morning. Now I am just worried about dressing warm enough so that I can stay on the stand.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Allen, you might try bowsite.com. It has forums for each state. Sometimes there is some pretty good info on there.

We are leaving Friday PM for NE Kansas. We talked to our buddy today. He said the wet weather has kept the crops in the fields longer this year, so they haven't been seeing the number of bucks they normally do. He thinks this week they will start clearing the fields, plus pheasant season starts Saturday. The hunters usually push the deer from the CRP areas to tighter cover, so maybe that will help us.

Good luck and send us pics of a Kansas buck!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Heading Out

I'm leaving Friday morning, the weather looks to be warm , but I'm hoping the rut will start kicking in. I killed a 174" last year on Nov 4th and he was dogging two does to death. Hoping for the same results.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts

Congrats to Jamie Farr - I was sent this today from a KS buddy, just a mongo huge buck and that 5x5 is absoltutely WORLD CLASS .....

Bowhunter Jamie Farr shot this big Geary County buck on Oct. 22. It carries 13 scorable points and an unofficial gross score of 208 inches. It's expected to net around 188 typical inches when the 60-day drying period is over. It should rank in Kansas' top ten

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks man. never hunted out of state before and I have only taken 2 deer with my bow, a doe and an 8 point.

I am looking forward to the experience anyhow

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
lots of moving bucks is the report this afternoon ..... and a really nice, 24" wide 10 pointer being seen all around the stand I hunt :)

I sold my compound tonight - recurve only for me baby !

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just got back saturday. Deer were moving very well I passed on alot of deer.Holding out for mr. big I seen lots of deer in draws leading in and out of soy bean fields. My buddy shot a real nice heavy Ten that we never recoverd jumped him 5 hours after the shot. he hit him a little far back. But the bucks we seen were still runnin together seen 4 fightin in a cut corn field that was something i had never seen. Kansas is awsome! Left the stands up, going back nov 12 for a week or till we fill our tags.I think they will be in full swing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hunted saturday and sunday morning. Crops still up so not very many deer seen. Was real windy on sunday and came home early. I will wait and come back in a few weeks when crops and leaves anre gone. Rut is supposed to run late this year. Hope you all do well keep us posted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.