Kansas Hunting

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by glabot, Feb 2, 2008.

1. glabot

glabot Guest

Anyone have any experience turkey hunting in Kansas? More specfically public land hunting? Are the public land areas more or less crowded than the WIHA areas?

What parts of Kansas are considered the best?

Is it possible to gain access to private land by asking locals?

Any information will help.

Thanks

2. Huntingfool

Huntingfool Well-Known Member

I went for the first time last year to mined lands WMA. It is around Columbus, KS and is about 2 hours from Springdale. You can get pretty good maps off the Kansas fish and wildlife web site. It reminded me of the swamps in South Arkansas and is very difficult to manuveur through because of all the strip mines that are now full of water. I heard several birds but couldn't seem to get them to work. One plus is that the season runs until late May so you can hunt 3 or 4 weekends extra that you don't get in Arkansas. You have to buy your hunting license the day before you plan to hunt. It is not valid until the next day. I bought mine at the Walmart in Columbus. The cost of the license is around $72 and one tag is $21 or so. You can also purchase another tag for the same price if you want. Some locals I ran into said it was a down year like we experienced here in Arkansas. Hope this helps. Let me know when you get a map and I'll tell you where I hunted since I won't be able to go back for a while. I have GPS coordinates if you want them. You can plug them in Google earth to get driving directions, etc.

3. I have been hunting in Kansas for several years. It can be great, but it is becoming very crowded. I plan to head to tennessee I here there is an abundance of turkeys with very little hunting presure.

4. Bruin

Bruin Well-Known Member

There are no Turkeys in Kansas as far as I know.:biggrin:

5. Rocketman

Rocketman Well-Known Member

If you didnt know you were in Kansas, you would think you were in Arkansas. I saw more Arkansas truck tags than Kansas tags the last 2 years. Thinking about trying Kentucky. Heard they have a few birds.

6. JR1

JR1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

KS is eat up with turkeys, but over the past two years there is just about 1 turkey to 1 hunter it seems like. And from what I've seen, the majority of out of staters are Arkansans. BTW--Not a fact you might brag about to the locals. you know how it is..a few bad apples have ruined the bunch.

7. JR1

JR1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Not sure were you heard that, but I would sure double and triple check my source! I've hunted TN and it is crawling with turkey hunters on private and public land. At least all the places I hunted were.

8. Bruin

Bruin Well-Known Member

Thanks to the NWTF, and the Exploitation of the Wild Turkey in the name of restoration, (and Rob Kecks Paycheck!). All of your turkey spots are going to be crowded. Think about that the next time you watch your favorite hunting show on TV.

Go into any Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shops, Cabella's, or what ever store in the spring, and what's on? Turkey movies, movies that tell all the secrets, all the tips ,and all the tricks to kill a willy old Gobbler!

There was a day, not that long ago, when a man had to figure out things for himself. He either took advise from old timers, or went out in the woods and learned about the habits of the Wild Turkey for himself, or better yet both! (That's what I did)

But now, all you have to do is watch the sellouts, and media whores sell their knowledge, and camouflage patterns, turkey calls, turkey vest, turkey stuff on the TV screen. Turkey hunting is nothing more than a video game in the minds of many hunters these days.

It makes me wanna chew Barbed wire, and spit out bad taste!!!
    I shouldn't think about it. Because it makes my white a$$ sick!

To me, there is nothing more sacred than a Wild Turkey Gobbler. And these days, even the most majestic of birds is for sale. And he can be bought cheap, in any sporting goods store.
    Im with you Benjamin Franklin. The Eagle is a poacher. The Majestic Wild Turkey should have been our National Bird. A bird we could be proud of.

9. glabot

glabot Guest

easy now...lets not get carried away. Simple questions about the kansas experience. If anyone can help with some general info about kansas I would appreciate it. Thanks huntingfool, that is the kind of info I was looking for.

10. Manybeards

Manybeards Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20

Arkansas hunters everywhere in Kansas, I would try Tennessee/Kentucky

11. J. Adams

J. Adams Well-Known Member

These fellas are telling the truth the Arkies have covered up the walk in stuff up there.

12. turkeyhunter

turkeyhunter Premium Member<br>2006 Turkey Team Contest Winner<

If there are turkeys there are hunters. That's for anywhere in the US. More turkeys more hunters.