Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Registered
23,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd consider not doing it this year but looking at previous years, people did comment they enjoyed the threads

So leading up to this hunt (I've been here several days) I had several pics sent to me on bucks ..... but even though some places have had big bucks killed, this area in NW is really down in deer numbers and size

The plan is I have until Tuesday Nov 15th to hunt, then 800 miles back to Arkansas on the 16th to leave for 1,000 miles to North Carolina on the 17th to drive back 1000 miles on the 19th :( so .... I'd sure like to have my hunt done a little early and catch my breath, but we'll see

· Registered
23,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those first two days were 20-25 sustained south winds, gust to 50 mph

Crazy

Day 3 shifted weather wise and we were hoping for a trigger on buck movement

That morning I sat one of my favorite stands. Id almost got a shot at a 150s buck a few years back in a snow storm on that stand but never killed from it

· Registered
23,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
day 3 afternoon was same north wind - the wind dictates where we hunt

when I was young, I was really careful with scent control ... today? I wear what I want, doesn't matter how it smells and i try to mix/match camo to break my outline and other than that? I don't care .... if a deer is downwind, it'll likely smell you and that's just that. Play the wind

so, back to the same morning stand and other than 250 head of cattle I saw walking across the pasture to get to my tree, I saw just a few distant deer and small bucks

weather has changed - now its colder, north wind, nothing like the stiff hard south winds we've had

· Registered
23,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so day 4 I get into the same stand I sit the morning and evening before - just how the wind was and we'd seen a couple of nice 10's on camera ... maybe 140" or 145" ? hard to tell sometimes

I'm still shooting the Xplorer Xpedition that Houdini and GFord set up for me years back - won't ever forget that generosity and still shooting Rage though I've moved to the Trypan models. 62# pull, probably 400gr arrows

I get into stand and its still bright moon every morning, you don't have any problem with light :( I can see deer on the bottom already, several hundred yards from me. Dawn breaks and I look far to the west at around 7:30 am and a little 8 point is making a scrape. He works his way all along the fence line and comes in 10 yards behind me. Not a shooter buck but fun to watch and I love watching deer. A bonus to just watching their manners is that they'll normally let you know if anything else is anywhere around and he did that - looked at his backtrail intently

I looked back and sure enough, there is a bigger buck. I picked up my bino's and he's a solid 10, 140-145" maybe and as good as we've had on camera.

Can't kill a 180" buck in a bottom that hasn't got a 180" buck in it, I mean hunt the biggest, mature bucks a farm has on it and that's what we do. He's a nice buck and I'm thinking if he comes behind me like the other buck, he's safe. He could come in front of me too, that would equal a shot opportunity.

He makes a scrape, I'm watching him and from my peripheral I see movement and its another young 8 and he's coming in from the same direction as the 10 but out in the pasture bottom and I look back to the 10 and oh yeah, he's interested and here he comes loping at a good pace.

Right on! This just got real, fast, and he's 200 yards coming right towards me. I take my balaclava off (its a 12 degree morning, cold, and I'm bundled up) and I like my face open more than covered if I'm going to shoot. Look back, and he's 100 yards and coming fast. Yeah, this is going to happen !

I get my bow off hanger, and mentally I'm thinking when he gets behind that limb, I'll draw without him seeing me, when he comes in another 20 yards he'll be 20 yards away and I'll have a shot. He still comes, locked in on that little buck to my right. Now, sun is bright and at my back, he's following a trail and coming in to my left (ideal for a right handed shooter). He can't see me draw, there is nothing but air between us, no brush, weeds, nothing. When he gets to that limb, I draw and its a good, smooth draw, and he comes out at my 20 yards spot and I have to "meeeahhhhh" to stop him.

He stops.

I shoot.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts