Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it legal for game wardens to come onto leased property just to snoop around? I had a couple of guys do this last season. They checked my license and looked around trying to see what they could turn up. Everything was legal so they went on their way. Both were very nice guys, and I actually enjoyed talking with them. Just curious what they were up to. They had to walk about 2-3 miles down a 4 wheeler trail to our camp, and it was trying to rain. First time in at least 20 years a game warden had showed up there.

· Premium Member
17,138 Posts
Is it legal for game wardens to come onto leased property just to snoop around? I had a couple of guys do this last season. They checked my license and looked around trying to see what they could turn up. Everything was legal so they went on their way. Both were very nice guys, and I actually enjoyed talking with them. Just curious what they were up to. They had to walk about 2-3 miles down a 4 wheeler trail to our camp, and it was trying to rain. First time in at least 20 years a game warden had showed up there.
Yep, They can come on your lease anytime they want.

I heard that they usually don't unless they are suspicious for soome reason........................uh oh they were checking ya'll out............what ya'll been doing over there?

· Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, They can come on your lease anytime they want.

I heard that they usually don't unless they are suspicious for soome reason........................uh oh they were checking ya'll out............what ya'll been doing over there?
I kinda figured they could, but that it was maybe one of those unspoken rules where they wouldn't hassle you without some basis. Like I said, they were decent enough guys, but they did seem a little wet behind the ears.

Even if they do have the authority to do this, these guys were at least a little bit out of line. I doubt that the wide ranging powers they've been given were intended for situations such as this one.

We're a pretty much law abiding group, and had nothing to hide. There are some scofflaws around the area I wish they'd get a hold of.

· Registered
274 Posts
It's a myth that Game Wardens have more authority than a cop. Game Wardens in Arkansas are subject to the US Constitution and the Arkansas Constitution, just like regular law enforcement.

The reason Game Wardens can enter land without a warrant is due to the open fields doctrine. Under that doctrine, most outside areas that are not used as a dwelling place can be entered without a warrant and without probable cause - even with "no trespassing" signs and fences. It doesn't matter that the law enforcement officer is technically trespassing. You can thank your US Supreme Court for that doctrine. :rolleyes:

Cops can do the same thing, it's just that they have less of a reason to be wandering over someone's land in the middle of nowhere since they cannot enforce hunting and fishing laws.

· Registered
5,763 Posts
GW's go on patrol just like a regular cop. They know where the problem area's are, so most of the time they will patrol that area heavier. However, they also go through a quiet area just to remind everyone they are out there.

· Registered
3,456 Posts
Yep, I'm so glad that they show up to visit....

Right about the time your buck gets into bow range, It then saw the warden, then takes off in a dead run. Never to return again, on the last day of season.

At 7:30 in the morning. Prime hunting time.

:censored::banghead:

If he would have waited a bit longer, he could have helped me drag it out. :fit:

· Registered
1,862 Posts
Yep, I'm so glad that they show up to visit....

Right about the time your buck gets into bow range, It then saw the warden, then takes off in a dead run. Never to return again, on the last day of season.

At 7:30 in the morning. Prime hunting time.

:censored::banghead:

If he would have waited a bit longer, he could have helped me drag it out. :fit:
I actually did have a warden help me drag one out a few years ago.:head:

· Registered
94 Posts
I have had a local police officer check my fishing license and treat my little 14year old cousin like a crook because he didn't have a fishing licesne or and ID
to prove he wasn't old enough to have to have one. Whata rookie jerk.

· Registered
3,150 Posts
I have had a local police officer check my fishing license and treat my little 14year old cousin like a crook because he didn't have a fishing licesne or and ID
to prove he wasn't old enough to have to have one. Whata rookie jerk.
It may be that the local game wardens asked for the local police assistance due to the game wardens being seriously understaffed. Police officers and sheriffs deputies CAN enforce Game and Fish laws although they normally don't.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.