Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some may have seen this over at the other dump......some may not.

I would like to have this motor but I think it would be too much for my 1542 SeaArk. I'm going to look at and hopefully pick up a DT25 Suzuki tomorrow.

If you are familiar with the Tohatsu Mega 25 then you know whats up......if not........Lets just say if a DT25 is the "Corvette" of 25 hp motors......this thing is a "Ferrari".

Legally by all accounts it is a 25 but it can be made a 40 in about 2 hours worth of work in the hands of the right mecahnic and can be made to even more with a block swap and new carbs. I have heard of people gettin over 50 hp outta these things.

Anyway here it is........Somebody in Arkansas needs to get it.:up:

·
Registered
24 Posts
hey, i think the tohatsu is made by nissan?? i have a 40 nissan on my 1546 and it looks identical to the one in the pic. if so, i'd say a carb change would make it cook. i know the 40 on mine is plenty if not too much.

·
Registered
383 Posts
tahatuse or what ever is the same is a nissian you just do not pay for the nissian name. I have a 15 hp on a 1442 it is a 4 stroke it is bad ass love it to death and crnaks every time.

·
Super Moderator
14,041 Posts
For the sake of safety, please do not overpower your boat. If you do, you might be looking for the motor in the bottom of the lake right after the transom breaks out. Lots of people have tried the trick of replacing the decals at Bear Creek Lake in Marianna. There is a 10 hp limit there, so some have changed their 15 hp stickers to 9.9 stickers. Of course, many of those same people have gotten tickets.

·
Banned
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That motor......Mega 25 by all legal accounts (serial numbers/registration etc......) is a 25 hp motor. It is, in fact a detuned 40. There were only a few hundred of them inported to the U.S.

If you call the serial number on that motor in to Tohatsu it will come back as a 25 hp motor......completely legal on all WMA's that has a 25 restriction.

If you have a boat......1648 War Eagle for example that is rated for a 40 to begin with then you are okay. Mine.......a 1542 SeaArk is only rated for a 25......I don't want to have to get another boat (more money that I don't want to spend) and that is the only reason I am not going to get that one instead of the "bazooki" tomorrow:up:

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
hey, i think the tohatsu is made by nissan?? i have a 40 nissan on my 1546 and it looks identical to the one in the pic. if so, i'd say a carb change would make it cook. i know the 40 on mine is plenty if not too much.
As Pimp said, it is the same motor as yours. No a bit of differance in nothing mechanical, same block, same pistons, same ignition, same carbs same lower unit. The differnce is in the reed plates and the size prop the mega carries. The Mega has some of the reed plates blocked off in it to only allow it to get enough fuel/air to perform like a 25 HP, thus the true rating put on the motor. You open up the reed openings in the motor, put on a differant prop & you have a true 40 that performs just like yours.

If you call the serial number on that motor in to Tohatsu it will come back as a 25 hp motor......completely legal on all WMA's that has a 25 restriction.
That is true, it will even if it has been converted back to a 40. But the Old Greenjeans will wise up to this in time if the system is pushed too far! You can tell in 15 seconds if one has been converted or not. All they have to do is watch for the man running a 25 mega leading the pack going 45 plus MPH. The can pull him over, take the cowl off, then take a bore scope & do a quick look down the throat of the carbs at the reed block to see if it has been modified. If the restrictors are still in place which is easy to see, all is well, you hunt on, if the restrictors have been removed it could be costly if they wanted it to be!

·
Registered
24 Posts
with all this regulation talk/rumors about hurricane, there just might be a 40 nissan on the market one day. sorta wish now that i'd stuck with a 25 hp when i bout it 11 yrs ago.. at that time i hunted arky river most of the time and fished greers which i still do. extra hp/speed is very handy on longer runs . oh well, guess we'll see what agf decides.

·
Banned
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Word on the street is it has sold......don't know who or where...........Even worse.......My deal fell through. Dude that had the motor I was going to pick up today called me last night and told me he sold the whole rig......Boat, motor & trailer.

AFTER!!!! I called him yesterday morning and told him I was coming to get it......oh well. I'll just get back on my horse and keep looking.:thumb:

·
Registered
694 Posts
That is true, it will even if it has been converted back to a 40. But the Old Greenjeans will wise up to this in time if the system is pushed too far! You can tell in 15 seconds if one has been converted or not. All they have to do is watch for the man running a 25 mega leading the pack going 45 plus MPH. The can pull him over, take the cowl off, then take a bore scope & do a quick look down the throat of the carbs at the reed block to see if it has been modified. If the restrictors are still in place which is easy to see, all is well, you hunt on, if the restrictors have been removed it could be costly if they wanted it to be!
all true, except, i dont think any of them megas are running no 45+. it pretty much aint happenin. and then of course if theyre gonna start doing this, wouldnt it be kinda hard to single out only the mega? i mean, how many other 25s are running down there that have been highly modified to put out more than 25 horse?? id say a bunch. there are some dang fast suzukis runnin around as well

·
Banned
82 Posts
well the guy who bought the mega posted on the fuge he got 46 on his gps so i guess that refutes your opinion and also the difference with the mega and suki tuning is a bit different..with the mega your are installing new reeds as both of you have suggested but the suki you are amping up the cylinder psi...i think stock the psi in the cylinders is 120 and after the "wizard" installs new rings,pistons, bores and what nots he puts it at around 140 psi (which is the highest the manufacture suggests...) now if mr. greenjeans wanted to check that then he is just reaching and needs to find an OOSer to write some tickets too:thumb:

·
Registered
694 Posts
well the guy who bought the mega posted on the fuge he got 46 on his gps so i guess that refutes your opinion and also the difference with the mega and suki tuning is a bit different..with the mega your are installing new reeds as both of you have suggested but the suki you are amping up the cylinder psi...i think stock the psi in the cylinders is 120 and after the "wizard" installs new rings,pistons, bores and what nots he puts it at around 140 psi (which is the highest the manufacture suggests...) now if mr. greenjeans wanted to check that then he is just reaching and needs to find an OOSer to write some tickets too:thumb:
actually, im pretty sure that the dude who posted that 46 was just messin around. pretty much aint happenin. not to say that it couldnt..... im just sayin it aint. i know for a fact that the 2 megas that are running around now are not doing that. not even close. as far as what the wizard does, i have no idea, i suppose thats what makes him the wizard and me a customer. i do know this, there are more than a few 25s that aint 25s, some were born 25s, some were not

·
Banned
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Blake.......I'm pretty sure RNTBuck knows a little about a Mega 25 since he has his hand wrapped around the throttle of one every time he hunts........I'm just sayin:thumb:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Blake.......I'm pretty sure RNTBuck knows a little about a Mega 25 since he has his hand wrapped around the throttle of one every time he hunts........I'm just sayin:thumb:
well, pimp, i wasnt gonna go there, but since you did... yea its true. and keep in mind, i didnt say it wasnt possible, i just said that I didnt believe it. kinda like this, if somebody claims it, good deal, no problem... i just wanna see it. and while im watchin, i may just go ahead and dump mine in the water beside it just for fun. and i KNOW mine aint that fast

·
Banned
82 Posts
yeah i am like you too i need to see it...but i figured if most suki's were getting 30-35 and they are 25's that are putting out around 35 hp and the tohatsu after the carb fixed and all is a stock 40 (basically) it should push a boat around that especially if you did more tweaking than the reeds and carb... but i guess i was wrong...

at least i dont claim to crank one up to 9000 rpms and run jet fuel:clap::clap::fit: that guy aint right over there

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.