Just got to Gulf Shores

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by scrapeline13, Jul 31, 2020.

1. scrapeline13

scrapeline13 Well-Known Member

We just got to G. shores last night. We will get in the beach house tomorrow. The boy and I will get after the sharks at some point. I’ll keep y’all posted while we fish. Live action style!
    Best thing about this week is they lift the mask mandate tomorrow the 1st! I’m about to try to give myself iodine poisoning from too many shrimp!

JB Weld, Allenn, Polywog and 2 others like this.
  2. Revnate

Revnate Well-Known Member

Fordyce
    We were in Ft Morgan week before last. The water got rough about midway through our trip. Did a lot of surf fishing. Caught a 23” redfish On live sand flea. Tried shark, and a little of everything. Also lot of hardheaded catfish and one stingray. The stingray was quite a bit of fun to reel in.

JB Weld and scrapeline13 like this.

3. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Well-Known Member

Buddy of mine and his family have been there all week. Said the fishing was tough and surf was rough but it's getting better. He said they caught a good mess of vermillion snapper yesterday. Caught some red snapper and triggerfish too but couldn't keep them. Good luck to y'all. Enjoy the vacation.

scrapeline13 likes this.
  4. tkcampb1

tkcampb1 Well-Known Member

Good luck, have fun and be safe!
    Want to see some shark pics!

scrapeline13 likes this.
  5. JohnnieWalker

How's the fishing?

scrapeline13 likes this.
  6. scrapeline13

It’s been tough. My folks are leaving in the morning, so we’ve been hanging out with them. After that, we will try to get on them.
    Only sporadic schools of bluefish coming down the shoreline. No big schools out deep to use the kayak on. We’re going to try to catch a lady fish or two to use for shark bait. Then we will try them tomorrow night.

JohnnieWalker likes this.
  7. Rookieshot

Rookieshot Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner<br>20

NWA
    Are you renting the kayaks? If so how much does that run. Going to period bay Labor Day week and have kayaks now but no sure if worth hassle hauling them down there. Would take up all the space in truck bed

scrapeline13 likes this.
  8. JohnnieWalker

Caught a big hammerhead last year at Morgan Point on those lady fish. Those suckers are bloody. My buddy said that him and his boys couldn't get a bite at the point last week. Hope y'all get on some. Take a few pics if you do.

scrapeline13 likes this.
  9. scrapeline13

We haul them down here. It makes it easy to get on fish schooling out in deeper water. Plus, we use it to drop our shark lines in deep water for surf fishing.

Rookieshot and JB Weld like this.
  10. Quack addict

Quack addict Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Eudora,MS
    We fixin to see him on Shark week.

scrapeline13 likes this.
  11. scrapeline13

Well. I didn’t get any footage/pics but Josh and I got into them on the last day (Friday). We caught 16 sand/black tip sharks out of the kayak. The biggest was about 5’ long.
    We could’ve caught more, but we took turns fishing out of one kayak. I only hauled one down since we took my wife’s expedition instead of my truck. Won’t make that mistake again.
    We tried fishing at the far end of Fort Morgan. We were actually started out fishing for redfish. I was drifting with a Carolina rigged live shrimp when I noticed some fish coming up close to the ends of the paddle when I put it in the water. It took a second to get a good look, but they were sharks about 3-5 feet long.
    I reeled the shrimp in off the bottom and re-baited with a fresh lively one. I was fishing in about 20-30 feet of water. I dropped the shrimp over the side of the kayak and let it fall 6-8’ and set the bail. Almost immediately the reel was ripping drag and I had one on! As I was reeling it in 5-6 others were following it. After a frantic quick release (tried to jump in the yak with me) I was on another one! Had a few bite through the mono, switched to a wire leader and it was on! After I caught 7-8 I called Josh and told him how/what I was doing. He was fishing jetty’s and docks with a popping cork/shrimp rig. We switched and I showed him exactly where I caught them and he headed out. By the time I got us something to eat and got back he had already caught 4-5. He ended up catching 8 and coming to the shore to eat lunch.
    We left, vowing to come back before dark with bigger bait to try for a giant. But, the wife and sisters wanted to take family pics and go eat dinner.
    We will be ready next year. Every day we will be there if the conditions are similar. We saw a ton of ocean life. Plenty of dolphins and lots of fish schooling. You could chase schooling fish out in the shipping lanes all morning.
    What amazes me is all the swimmers that were close by, and 100-150 yards off shore are literally hundreds of sharks.
    All in all we had a great week. The water was super clear with no seaweed or jellyfish. Josh and I caught a few surf fishing in front of the house. Never did pull an all-nighter trying for jaws. But had a great time with the family!
    We’re already ready for next year. If there are that many 3-5 foot sharks feeding all day I can only imagine the ones we couldn’t see. I’ll have the big rod,piano wire leader, and a filleted bonito next time.
    Anyone going down that way that wants to PM me I will hook you up with details.

12. scrapeline13

Next year. Just wait......

13. Doodlebug

Doodlebug Well-Known Member

I’m curious. How does a person release a shark,,and keep all of his fingers?? Cut the line?

ducksoup likes this.
  14. scrapeline13

I used pliers. The circle hooks were in the corner of their mouths. So, very carefully with fishing pliers I would just get a good bite on the hook. I got pretty good at one quick jerk and they would come off.
    The biggest was around 5’ and the smallest around 3’. A 3’ shark has a pretty small mouth, 5’ or bigger you might want to cut the line. You’ll lose a mono leader and hook, or wire leader and hook. But they’re cheap.

15. ranger362

ranger362 Well-Known Member

I’m curious as well, are you not remotely afraid of a big one flipping your yak? I’ve never fished out of one so I have no idea.

scrapeline13 and Doodlebug like this.
  16. WillyB71

WillyB71 Well-Known Member

Very carefully. I had a 6’ Lemon chew my left hand hand up pretty badly when I was trying to cut a wire leader down in the keys. He/She made a quick jump out of the water to get me. Like was said, Losing a little longer piece of leader & hook is cheap insurance.

scrapeline13 likes this.