Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love to bow hunt deer & other critters in the fall, but nothing gets my blood boiling like chasing big gobblers in the spring!!!! Just the thought of watching a big boy fuzzed up, beard swinging from side to side, pausing momentarily to gobble before he strolls into range, makes my heart flutter and the hair on the back of my neck stand straight up. I long for those sleep-deprived days!!!!

Sorry, to get your blood boiling. I was just day dreaming about a duel with the king of spring.

Only 4 months a few days away!!!!!!

·
Registered
14,411 Posts
I do like turkey hunting, but I usually dont get the affliction until at least December.
I like to enjoy deer season to the fullest because I actually get to do some trigger pulling, and I dont necessarily have to drive all over the 4 state area just to find a decent population to hunt.
Y'all are hard core if you're thinking about spring before the rifle opener! I want to hunt with y'all this spring!

·
Member<br>2009 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner<b
163 Posts
No Wasted Time: Turkey Hunt All year

Take advantage of the time in the woods Deer hunting to get ready for that Spring encounter with old mister Tom. Think of it as way-early scouting. No kidding, Fall and winter Deer hunting, is a great time to start making preparations for old mister Tom.

I can find out just how many birds are in a area, Poult counts, and lots of times Tom carry over. Areas with heavy mast crops should be a great place to start spring scouting and those yelps ans clucks you might hear while in you stand as the sun slips up might give you a idea of maybe a spring roost site.

I will re-visit areas where there might have been encounters in the past and maybe find that certain barrier that hung Mister Tom up last spring or maybe I might take a minute to move a couple of brush tops closer to that one place where old Tom and his hens seemed to want to hang out last spring, you know that spot with no cover. With leaves off, I can get a better idea of how the land lays, location of creeks or water holes, dusting areas and so on. All this tied together with some Spring scouting and pre-season gobbles can give me a better idea of where these Birds are located and where they will go after fly-down.

Friends, along with other hunting sports I love to Deer hunt and spend a great deal of time in woods, but I AM a Turkey Hunter and can' help but to take advantage of spending time in the woods and not using some of that time to maybe help make future encounters with Old Mister Tom, more eventful.

Always take at least, just a small bit of your time spent in the woods, no matter what hunting season is in, to try and fine-tune your knowledge of the Turkeys and Turkey Hunting around your area. That one little thing you discover this Winter, just might make the difference this Spring....Things change from Spring to Spring and the more you are prepaired will help you stay ahead of Mister Long-spur.

Ever notice that Great Deer Hunters are not always successful Turkey Hunters. But the ones that can tie the two together, take advantage of every minute spent in the outdoors trying to put the puzzle pieces of both hunting sports together, long before opening day.....................Take advantage of all your time in the woods.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Take advantage of the time in the woods Deer hunting to get ready for that Spring encounter with old mister Tom. Think of it as way-early scouting. No kidding, Fall and winter Deer hunting, is a great time to start making preparations for old mister Tom.

I can find out just how many birds are in a area, Poult counts, and lots of times Tom carry over. Areas with heavy mast crops should be a great place to start spring scouting and those yelps ans clucks you might hear while in you stand as the sun slips up might give you a idea of maybe a spring roost site.

I will re-visit areas where there might have been encounters in the past and maybe find that certain barrier that hung Mister Tom up last spring or maybe I might take a minute to move a couple of brush tops closer to that one place where old Tom and his hens seemed to want to hang out last spring, you know that spot with no cover. With leaves off, I can get a better idea of how the land lays, location of creeks or water holes, dusting areas and so on. All this tied together with some Spring scouting and pre-season gobbles can give me a better idea of where these Birds are located and where they will go after fly-down.

Friends, along with other hunting sports I love to Deer hunt and spend a great deal of time in woods, but I AM a Turkey Hunter and can' help but to take advantage of spending time in the woods and not using some of that time to maybe help make future encounters with Old Mister Tom, more eventful.

Always take at least, just a small bit of your time spent in the woods, no matter what hunting season is in, to try and fine-tune your knowledge of the Turkeys and Turkey Hunting around your area. That one little thing you discover this Winter, just might make the difference this Spring....Things change from Spring to Spring and the more you are prepaired will help you stay ahead of Mister Long-spur.

Ever notice that Great Deer Hunters are not always successful Turkey Hunters. But the ones that can tie the two together, take advantage of every minute spent in the outdoors trying to put the puzzle pieces of both hunting sports together, long before opening day.....................Take advantage of all your time in the woods.
Old Hillbilly,

Couldn't have said it better!!!! It is like anything else, what you get out of something depends on how much you put in it. Whether I am deer or squirrel hunting, etc. I am always studying the land, sign etc. to help me for the upcoming turkey season. When the leaves fall is the best time to strap your boots on and start walking. Like you said, it is a great time to learn the terrain, and knowing the terrain is HUGE. It can mean the difference in closing the deal on a gobbler come spring time.

Most folks are at a huge disadvantage by waiting until 2 days before the opener to go scout/listen for turkeys.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Yester all day seen 4 deer no bucks, but...............I seen a group of aprx 10 toms a handful of which had huge beards, I been seeing a lot of feathers there, I def. know where I'll be hunting!!

·
Registered
814 Posts
I saw five gobblers Sunday evening of opening weekend of MG. Man they looked like black ostriches walking through the woods. I could clearly see the beards almost dragging at 100 yds.

I'm tagged out on deer, my only hope is to go after one of those gobblers with bow.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

This is gonna be a long winter.
I'm gonna go nuts before April gets here.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have always been hookd on turkeys because you had to do something to getm to come to ya. Now in the last few years with the grunting in the bucks and doe bleats, it has made deer hunting more enjoyable to me. Its something about them responding to your calls rather than them just happening by. But the tom all blowedup is still #1 with me.

·
Premium Member
15,207 Posts
Got all my turkey gear out today and fiddled around with it awhile.. Got my gun out and oiled it down.. It sounded like David Blanton was runnin loose in my house.. Man I'm EXCITED!! 2 months baby, 2 months!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.