Just booked it!

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Hobbshunter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    I just booked a drop camp elk hunt in Colorado for this October!!! I am so excited that I cant hardly stand it.
    We pack in 10/17 and out on the 25th. That makes for 246 days and counting.

2. LedZhead20

LedZhead20 Well-Known Member

Thanks for inviting me. I live in NWA too.:biggrin:

3. bett_lou

bett_lou Moderator<br>Campfire<br>Humor & Games<br>'07 Deer

I'm green with envy. What is a drop camp elk hunt?

4. Hobbshunter

NWA
    The outfitter will take us in on horseback to a camp that they set up: wall tent, stove, cookware, firewood, cots, etc. They drop us off for 7 days. All we have to bring is our food, sleeping bags, and hunting gear. They pack out kills from the kill site.
    It's unguided so it's cheaper.

5. shawnee_creek

shawnee_creek Suspended Indefinitely

Just curious, what is the cost per person and the number of hunters required. If you don't want to tell thats understandable. or pm me. Good Luck.

6. stealthycat

stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

where ya'll going ? who you using ?

I go into a wilderness area about every year in Colorado for elk. This fall I'll be drwaing a muzzleloader tag and going in, backpack hunting.

7. bett_lou

bett_lou Moderator<br>Campfire<br>Humor & Games<br>'07 Deer

That sounds like fun. My kind of huntin.

8. JR

JR Moderator<br>Campfire<br>General Hunting Topics<br

Man I would love to go on a hunt like that. Congratulations, and good luck!

9. Hobbshunter

NWA
    It's San Juan Outfitters out of Durango. $1420 per hunter. 2-4 hunters per camp.
    I'll let yall know how it works out. They sound like great folks. All of the references had good things to say even though not all of them killed.

10. Hobbshunter

NWA
    I admire you for backpacking for elk. This will be my first elk hunt. I wanted to get away from the crowds, but I wasnt sure about being able to pack one out. I've heard more than one story about a lot of meat spoiling before it gets out.
    I'm not going to be able to afford this every year even though I think it's a deal. I wanted to go ahead and do it before me and wife have any kids. After that, I'll probably do some more mule deer hunts on my own, and see if I'm ready to tackle elk.

11. elwaller

elwaller Select Member<br>2009 Photo Contest Winner<br>2015

Good Luck. Hope to be able to do the same thing next year with my kid. Finally my kid is old enough and big enough to help ole dad if he needs any. He'll be 20 and will be my pack mule:biggrin:

12. . I've heard more than one story about a lot of meat spoiling before it gets out.

That could very well happen it took me two days to pack one out this past year...couldnt get the horses in there...luckily we had highs in the 20's and lows below zero....good luck. You will be hooked

13. stealthycat

good luck - I'll be about 100 miles east of you about the same time. thats about the right price for a quality drop camp, I hope they take you to a great area

might I suggest a Mac Daddy elk bugle ? by far the best i've used, I also like Abe and Son's. make sure you have excellent boots and that your feet are in condition to them well before the hunt. the better shape you're in the better hunt you'll have

14. stealthycat

15. Selfbow

Selfbow ...

16. stealthycat

right at 300" best I remember - 5x5 with a small 6 on one side. Dandy 5x6 for public land for sure

the bulls are in there, hunt hard, be in great shape, make sure your feet are in shape with your boots .... go get 'em !

17. Hobbshunter

NWA
    That's a nice bull!
    I've got the boots. I bought some Danners for my mule deer hunt a couple years ago. I around the hills here pretty well with the shape I'm in now, but I plan on being in much better shape by October. My buddy that I'm going with is in the army, so I shouldnt have to worry about him being in shape.

18. stealthycat

NO COTTON OR WOOL SOCKS .... I know it sounds silly .. but don't wear cotton underwear eitehr. i bought all synthetic "panties" as my wife calls them and NO CHAFING comes from using them

19. Hobbshunter

NWA
    I dont plan on having a stitch of cotton period.
    No wool socks??? I've been using Smartwool (merino) wool socks for the past few years, and I figure a few pairs of those ought to fit the bill.
    I've been contemplating buying some of the under armor briefs. You know of any similar ones that might be a hair cheaper?

20. stealthycat

smartwool - I've got no experience with them. you sound like you know how to take care of your feet though.

I don't wear underarmor - its a fad IMO. I do have some fleece underwear, in light and medium weights.