Johnny Cash

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by sam, Dec 8, 2012.

1. sam

sam Grand Member

Johnny Cash Wiped Out an Entire Species (Almost)

Johnny Cash dabbled in a lot of things in his life. He was a symbol of anti-authority . Most people have forgotten about the time that Cash dabbled in making a species of bird go extinct.

The Incident:

Cash was driving his truck through Los Padres National Forest in central California, when a wheel bearing in his truck overheated and set the whole thing ablaze. Cash did what any responsible motorist would do and abandoned his burning vehicle... to go fishing.
    The fire spread, and almost an entire square mile of forest burned. More importantly, the fire killed 49 California Condors, which at the time was roughly half of the entire species.

The Fallout:

The federal government sued Cash and eventually settled for $82,000 dollars, which is miniscule in comparison to the nearly $30 million that the federal government has spent trying to conserve Condors.

Cash's defense was that it was all an accident, he didn't want his truck to burst into flame, after all. The courts felt differently, both because he didn't seem to think the whole "burning vehicle in the middle of the woods" thing deserved his attention at the time and the fact he remained unapologetic, going so far as to say, "I don't give a damn about your yellow buzzards."

2. jdawg

jdawg Super Member<br>2013-14 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

All ya had to say was "I don't like Johnny Cash".

3. sam

sam Grand Member

I like Johnny Cash, I just never knew this about him.

4. jdawg

Oh. I do to. Cash is the best.

5. frogleg

frogleg Well-Known Member

Why didn't the dumb things just fly way? :head:

6. grizzly6985

grizzly6985 Well-Known Member

good question! :head:

7. AR Thumper

AR Thumper Well-Known Member

Camden
    Because they were dependent on the government to do everything for them!:eek:There is a lesson to be learned here I think!:fit:

8. Nat1

Nat1 Well-Known Member

What did a condor ever do anyways

9. jdawg

:censored: yellow buzzards!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2012
  10. As a tribute to the singed fowl and indication of a penitent heart, he always wore black, which made him appear as a tall, skinny crow........or vulture.

Wonder if he was fried when he barbequed the birdies?

11. d.bobo

d.bobo Well-Known Member

hope
    Must be where "The Ring of Fire" song came from .

12. Saltydog

Saltydog Well-Known Member

Ash Flat
    :fit:

13. RippinLips

RippinLips Well-Known Member

Park a burning truck with hot wheel bearings in front of the nation's welfare offices? Cue the spooks bustin through my windows...