Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we don't have a "do it yourself forum"
Johnf this is the mod I was talking about.

I got tired of having to reach down and unlatch the pin to adjust the scariffs.
So I am making it where I can do it up top.

On the left is how it was and the right is how it gonna be.

Just tacked right now.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the way I think.If you can't buy it the way you want,We've got our welders to straighten it out.
I am always thinking of a better way. I saw other box blades that had this set up so I just figured I would add it to mine.

I am thinking I'll stop for tonight as I have to do some drilling and it is going to take a bit. I am out of oxygen so I can't cut a notch for the pin through the center brace and my little plasma just ain't enough.

Maybe I need a bigger plasma.......(don't tell my wife:wink: )

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Yep,That looks like a winner.Saves lots of aggravation.

I seen my old man put a wiper motor off an old ford courier on a home made boxblade/disc {for the garden} to raise the blade up out of the way.it works really well.:cool:

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
53,810 Posts
I am always thinking of a better way. I saw other box blades that had this set up so I just figured I would add it to mine.

I am thinking I'll stop for tonight as I have to do some drilling and it is going to take a bit. I am out of oxygen so I can't cut a notch for the pin through the center brace and my little plasma just ain't enough.

Maybe I need a bigger plasma.......(don't tell my wife:wink: )
If you have a stick welder, you can turn the heat up and cut with a welding rod. What do you pay for oxy. and accet.[small bottles?]~j

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have a stick welder, you can turn the heat up and cut with a welding rod. What do you pay for oxy. and accet.[small bottles?]~j
I own my bottles but for refills I pay about $20 a piece to swap them out.

I have a stick welder but I have never peirced with it. I figure I can blow a hole just as easy. I would rather drill but real time consuming. After looking this morning I think I am going to make the angle brackets just a little shorter to allow me to pin the links at the braces.

·
53,810 Posts
I own my bottles but for refills I pay about $20 a piece to swap them out.

I have a stick welder but I have never peirced with it. I figure I can blow a hole just as easy. I would rather drill but real time consuming. After looking this morning I think I am going to make the angle brackets just a little shorter to allow me to pin the links at the braces.
Geeeeeees, what are you drilling, cold rolled? Bring your drill bits up here...I'll sharpen them for ya, and it won't take so long no mo!:thumb:

·
53,810 Posts
OH John I have a Drill Doctor and I like it. But I wouldnt mind comin up there:thumb:
My gosh man, you don't need a drill doctor:smack: anybody can learn to sharpen drill bits....just ask my shop teacher....wait a minute....I doubt if he's still among the living:biggrin:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wish I had toys like that.:frown:
johnf I know teacher salaries ain't that great but you could have them.

Pinch here and there and you don't have to buy top of the line.
Like I said before I started with a Century welder before I bought Miller.

The thing about Welding is that they can get your money back if you want.

Now welding and deer hunting ?? Well as you see I am working on a box blade. A tractor ,even a small one ,is a great tool for deer lease management.
The box blade is a great tool to keep those logging roads from rutting out.
making new trails and maintaining them.
It can fill in for the lack of a plow or disc in making food plots.

A tractor and a brush hog will make those unhuntable areas more huntable by chewing up brush that keeps you from seeing the deer.

And something alot of people don't read.............in alot of lease agreements there is a statement that you will maintain roads and culvert crossings and such.

It's tough to do with a hoe!!!!!!!:smack:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My gosh man, you don't need a drill doctor:smack: anybody can learn to sharpen drill bits....just ask my shop teacher....wait a minute....I doubt if he's still among the living:biggrin:
I have done the ginding wheel sharpening ................I'll stick to the doctor:thumb:

I thought when you were in school they taught blacksmithing........horse shoeing!!!!!!!:razz:

·
Registered
11,666 Posts
johnf I know teacher salaries ain't that great but you could have them.

Pinch here and there and you don't have to buy top of the line.
Like I said before I started with a Century welder before I bought Miller.

The thing about Welding is that they can get your money back if you want.

Now welding and deer hunting ?? Well as you see I am working on a box blade. A tractor ,even a small one ,is a great tool for deer lease management.
The box blade is a great tool to keep those logging roads from rutting out.
making new trails and maintaining them.
It can fill in for the lack of a plow or disc in making food plots.

A tractor and a brush hog will make those unhuntable areas more huntable by chewing up brush that keeps you from seeing the deer.

And something alot of people don't read.............in alot of lease agreements there is a statement that you will maintain roads and culvert crossings and such.

It's tough to do with a hoe!!!!!!!:smack:
Biggest problem for me is space. We're in town and just don't have room.

·
53,810 Posts
You do realize if ya hit a big root or a rock....you gonna bend the pin....or worse...break your welds:fit:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You do realize if ya hit a big root or a rock....you gonna bend the pin....or worse...break your welds:fit:
Actually John I have hit a many rock and root. What bends is the lift pin. The left side is bent now.

I keep a little stock of cat 1 lift pins around.

I hit a root once with the scarifs all the way down and it stopped the tractor instantly:eek:

Now with the scarifs all down I can still pin them original style but for little scratching it will be nice to able to move them up and down faster.

But hey if I break it I can just fix it:thumb:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts