Arkansas Hunting banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,536 Posts
I would used to have said double lunged animals don't run far - I had a KS deer once that I double lunged that probably ran 500 yards .... crazy. I even told my buddy I could have sworn I punched right through both lungs but no way does a deer run that far with the hit I thought I'd made .... but it did and I absolutely hit both lungs. Even the big buck last year ran at least 200 yards with both lungs sliced

but I'm tenacious now too - if I shoot an animal and its within 500 yards of where I shot it, I'll find it. I lost an elk once to not being determined - I'll never give up again like that
Yes they will stealthy. Many years ago a buddy called me to help him track one. He shot a momma and two babies the momma and one baby was within 100yds. One fawn we tracked about 120 yds and threw a 40 acres clear cut which is what 440yds? So over 500 yds perfect king shot and he said it was blowing the whole time it ran off.

·
Premium Member
28,038 Posts
I shot a bear in canada a few years ago with a bow. Bad angle, got one lung and exited the guts. We started down the trail with fair blood and jumped the bear about 100 yards in. We pulled out and waited about three hours and went back. Bear went about thirty yards from where we jumped it and hung intestine on a branch and proceeded to pull yards of intestine out. Didnt go another fifty yards. The outfitter said no way would we have got that bear hit with a fixed blade like that. He said any broadhead will kill a bear with a good shot, he wanted his hunters using a broadhead that would kill them with a bad shot. He was going to recommend all his hunters use a mechanical from then on

·
Registered
22,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I shot a bear in canada a few years ago with a bow. Bad angle, got one lung and exited the guts. We started down the trail with fair blood and jumped the bear about 100 yards in. We pulled out and waited about three hours and went back. Bear went about thirty yards from where we jumped it and hung intestine on a branch and proceeded to pull yards of intestine out. Didnt go another fifty yards. The outfitter said no way would we have got that bear hit with a fixed blade like that. He said any broadhead will kill a bear with a good shot, he wanted his hunters using a broadhead that would kill them with a bad shot. He was going to recommend all his hunters use a mechanical from then on

on bad shots I would want fixed blades - they penetrate more (yes I still think physics is on the side of that statement) !!

on big game, fixed 2 blades as well

remember this ? I don't feel like a Rage would have done this - obviously NOT the hit i was looking for although it did work - its the first vertebrae off the skull of a 225# Kansas whitetail
Flower Petal Plant Terrestrial plant Flowering plant

·
Registered
184 Posts
Never shot a Rage. I've heard the good and the bad... the talk used to be that they failed to open pretty often although I have no idea if that is true. I've shot G5's for a long time... I have the original Montec and some T3's that I still shoot. My only real gripe with the T3 is that it seems to take 10-20 yards for them to open up and start bleeding. The last two bucks I've shot would have been hard to find the blood trail had I not marked a tree where they ran off. There wasn't much (if any) blood at impact. Both were passthroughs @30-35 yards. both deer were stone dead within 100-150 yards too. Once they start to bleed they bleed A LOT!
Like was previously stated.... shot placement trumps all. I like the G5 stuff but by no means do I fault someone for using another brand.

·
Premium Member
28,038 Posts
on bad shots I would want fixed blades - they penetrate more (yes I still think physics is on the side of that statement) !!

on big game, fixed 2 blades as well

remember this ? I don't feel like a Rage would have done this - obviously NOT the hit i was looking for although it did work - its the first vertebrae off the skull of a 225# Kansas whitetail View attachment 331919
I dont have it anymore, but I used to have a skull from a 200 lb boar hog that I shot between the eyes and broadhead came out the back of the skull protruding out about two inches. Three blade rage chisel tip. I have shot a number of hogs in the spine that dropped in their tracks. Not neccessarily a good thing, because they squeal like crazy. I think it is a toss up on which I would prefer on a shot gone bad - shoulder, probably fixed blade. Anywhere behind the shoulder - as in guts - expandable. I shot an elk back one time with a standard slick trick - one evening. We jumped him the next morning and never saw him again. Did not get a pass through. That same shot placement, I have no doubt there would have been more arteriole damage with a bigger expandable. Might not of made a difference - but it would not have been worse.

When I was doing a lot of experimenting with broadheads - I hung a 250 lb boar hog up on my front end loader and shot it with various brodheads. Most folks are familiar with the thick shield on a boar hog. This was quite a few years ago, so I may not repeat the results exactly - but most, if not all, of the fixed blades at least made it out the hide on the off side. NOt saying the arrow flew through and stuck in the dirt - just saying the broadhead made it through. None of the expandables made it through the hide on the off side. But, they all made it through the vitals and stopped in the ribs or against the shield on the off side. That means all the broadheads - fixed and expandables - cut the same distance through vital organs. The expandables just cut twice as wide a swath - contributing to more organ damage and more hemorrhaging - but only one hole. I do think there are better scenarios for using a fixed blade - but overall - especially for our hunting opportunities in Arkansas, I think you are better off with an expandable

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
O they were perfect double lung shots. The internals just rolled fwd and plugged the holes. I didn’t do a autopsy to see exactly which organs due to it be around 90 degrees and 24 hours later.
Necropsy not autopsy

Reactions: Allenn

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
I've never done the experimenting that SwampCat has but the Grimm Reapers have been devastating to the deer I've shot with them

·
Premium Member
28,038 Posts
right, that's what I'd expect

and when you have no exit hole, that makes blood trailing tough
You have to consider this was a big boar hog with a one inch thick shield. Even with a broadhead out the off side, there is almost no blood out the exit hole - because the gristle in the shield stays tight around the shaft. With a big boar hog, I would prefer a big broadhead doing a lot of internal damage - and the hog dying that much quicker - because their isnt going to be much blood on a chest shot boar anyway. Hogs typically dont make a mad dash until they die. Most times, when hogs are hit hard, they run 50 to 75 yards and stop and fight it. I have a feeder that I have probably shot close to 100 hogs off of - all with a bow. There is a 20 yard by 20 yard patch of bamboo about fifty yards away. That is where 50% of the hogs end up. I want a broadhead that rips a swath through them and they die quick and I find them without a drop of blood.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts