Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I use rage hypos also. Guess I've only ever used mechanical broadheads. Started hunting with vortex 2 blade 2" cut. They were more similar to swackers

·
Premium Member
28,038 Posts
I went with rage and did a lot of experimentation. Shot maybe seven different broadheads one year on twenty or thirty hogs and maybe three deer. Yes, the fixed blade get better penetration on average - but that isnt so much a function of being fixed blade as it is cutting diameter. If you shoot a 2 1/4” fixed blade head, it will probably get very similar penetration a a 2 1/4” Rage - however, it probably wont fly worth a dang.

I even shot some 3 blade rages with the blades deployed and still shot in the kill zone at 30 yards. On our AR deer, I still get pass throughs 90% of the time with a rage - about the same as a fixed blade. I would much rather have a big entrance and exit. When you hit an animal with an arrow, you dont always get an exit but there is always an entrance hole. Dang sure, if I was only going to have an entrance hole, I would rather it be larger.

·
Registered
22,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Dr. Ed Ashby has done some experimenting on this kind of stuff I do believe.
I've read most of his studies and discussed them often

BUT ... for a deer sized animal, with a 60's poundage compound, Rage and quality mech broadheads are great

For large game, go heavy and 2 blade COI

The big buck I killed in Kansas last year ... 225# animal and I shot it downward and hit high backbone at maybe 35 yards .... so my arrow had lost energy by the time it hit

I found my arrow next morning, missing maybe 6-7" ... no blood trail. I was sick. Upon finding my buck and inspecting, I'd penetrated both lungs, got the bounceback that mech heads seem to have .... but not full penetration and this no bloodtrail

Now on the flipside, I double lunged a buck and had my arrow sticking in the ground .... big body, Zwickey heads ... and that buck didn't bleed much either so ....

·
Registered
22,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
the black bear this year - known for fat/clogging the holes ... that bear was pouring blood in big patches - Rage Trypan

much more blood trail than the Slick Trick 4 blade bear I killed a few years back

each kill is different, giving examples of my experience is all

·
Premium Member
20,536 Posts
The last fix blade I shot was thunderheads. That’s been way back. Rage ever since then. Great blood trials. I quit now hunting for 4 years because I lost two nice bucks in a row. Perfect shots and blood got spotty within 30 yds looked for hours. Found both deer the next day. Gut sack had rolled in the small holes from the fixed blade causing little blood.

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
The last fix blade I shot was thunderheads. That’s been way back. Rage ever since then. Great blood trials. I quit now hunting for 4 years because I lost two nice bucks in a row. Perfect shots and blood got spotty within 30 yds looked for hours. Found both deer the next day. Gut sack had rolled in the small holes from the fixed blade causing little blood.
The fear of losing a deer is what limits the amount of bowhunting I do.

·
Premium Member
20,536 Posts
The fear of losing a deer is what limits the amount of bowhunting I do.
That was probably going on close to 20 years now right after high school. I don’t think I’ve lost one since with my bow. Probably just screwed myself right then. This will be the first year I’ve muzzleloader hunted in forever for the very same reason. Well that and work. I can’t stand a smoke pole.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
That was probably going on close to 20 years now right after high school. I don’t think I’ve lost one since with my bow. Probably just screwed myself right then. This will be the first year I’ve muzzleloader hunted in forever for the very same reason. Well that and work. I can’t stand a smoke pole.
I’d rather carry my bow than a muzzleloader. Last time I shot at a deer with one I put it on him squeezed the trigger and it popped and I was in the middle of saying you raggedy #%*$ it went off. Last time I used it.

·
Premium Member
20,536 Posts
I’d rather carry my bow than a muzzleloader. Last time I shot at a deer with one I put it on him squeezed the trigger and it popped and I was in the middle of saying you raggedy #%*$ it went off. Last time I used it.
Yep then they smoke so bad you don’t even know which way they ran after the shot.

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
Technology has improved with muzzleloaders the same as everything else. Better/cleaner/non-corrosive powders. 209 and other ignitions vs 11 caps. Better bullets. They are nothing more than modern rifles that require a little more thought and preparation

·
Premium Member
20,536 Posts
Technology has improved with muzzleloaders the same as everything else. Better/cleaner/non-corrosive powders. 209 and other ignitions vs 11 caps. Better bullets. They are nothing more than modern rifles that require a little more thought and preparation
Hopefully Saturday I can tell y’all how flawless it was.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
You've probably learned since then a "perfect" shot doesn't involve the gut sack 🤔

·
Premium Member
20,536 Posts
You've probably learned since then a "perfect" shot doesn't involve the gut sack 🤔
O they were perfect double lung shots. The internals just rolled fwd and plugged the holes. I didn’t do a autopsy to see exactly which organs due to it be around 90 degrees and 24 hours later.

·
Member On Double Secret Probation
29,712 Posts
O they were perfect double lung shots. The internals just rolled fwd and plugged the holes. I didn’t do a autopsy to see exactly which organs due to it be around 90 degrees and 24 hours later.
You are supposed to shoot the front shoulders, not the back shoulder

·
Registered
22,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I would used to have said double lunged animals don't run far - I had a KS deer once that I double lunged that probably ran 500 yards .... crazy. I even told my buddy I could have sworn I punched right through both lungs but no way does a deer run that far with the hit I thought I'd made .... but it did and I absolutely hit both lungs. Even the big buck last year ran at least 200 yards with both lungs sliced

but I'm tenacious now too - if I shoot an animal and its within 500 yards of where I shot it, I'll find it. I lost an elk once to not being determined - I'll never give up again like that

21 - 40 of 77 Posts