Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
22,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have long held the belief that 2 blade, COI broadheads offer superior penetration. They don't fail to open. They're tough, durable. I have shot a lot of animals over the last 30 years, antelope, black bear, several bull elk, mule deer, many whitetails ..... with compounds, longbows, recurve and with many different heads. It wasn't like I created that opinion from thin air.

Several years ago, GFord and Houdini paired up and challenged me to shoot a modern compound - Xplorer Xpedition (at the time I had an older Mathews) and Rage broadheads. That was 2016. I accepted. IIRC my arrows are around 450 grains 62# set draw weight

Since then ... I have shot maybe 10 deer and a black bear with bow/setup. If I remember .... I've lost only 1 deer and no idea why really other than I think it was a brisket hit - my fault, not setup.

I've never had a Rage not deploy. I started with hypodermics, but I really like the Trypan heads (except for the price)

I used my last Trypan last week on a black bear. Good bear, passthrough, arrow on ground. Sometimes I have not got pass though, like on my big Kansas buck last year.

After 5 years .... I can say the Rage heads and likely most high quality mechanicals are good heads for whiteails etc. Would I use them for elk? I think I'd go Slick Tricks on elk but I could see others trusting Rage heads on elk.

I really can't argue the new mechanicals are junk anymore - the ones I've used have worked well, they've bent a bit on hard hits but never a blade sheared off or anything like that. They're sharp, cut a big hole. I can't really say they get less penetration either - although physics still remain the same that a 10" cut or 8" or 3" cut will use more energy than a 1.25" cut .....

So yeah, I've changed my views on mechanical heads I guess. Don't ya'll ever say the 'cat is too stubborn to change. I kicked a wife of 24 years to the curb, started using mechanical broadheads, use a spinning reel 95% of the time and wear silk underwear and Uggs when I hunt .... I am a modern adaptable bowhunter :love:

·
Premium Member
29,049 Posts
180 Grain Corelok or 150 Grain Corelok Bullet..?
Mechanical or Fixed...?
Switched from Fixed wasp..to mechanical (Bloodrunners)several years ago.....
You hit em in the Right spot behind the Shoulders..both will do their Job....
Lost my 1st one with a Bow last year.in Years..... Doe..
Knew I hit it back.....Saw it go down didn't see it get up....found it in February.....It got up backtracked...Made me Sick....Hate Losing them..Hate it..

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I have long held the belief that 2 blade, COI broadheads offer superior penetration. They don't fail to open. They're tough, durable. I have shot a lot of animals over the last 30 years, antelope, black bear, several bull elk, mule deer, many whitetails ..... with compounds, longbows, recurve and with many different heads. It wasn't like I created that opinion from thin air.

Several years ago, GFord and Houdini paired up and challenged me to shoot a modern compound - Xplorer Xpedition (at the time I had an older Mathews) and Rage broadheads. That was 2016. I accepted. IIRC my arrows are around 450 grains 62# set draw weight

Since then ... I have shot maybe 10 deer and a black bear with bow/setup. If I remember .... I've lost only 1 deer and no idea why really other than I think it was a brisket hit - my fault, not setup.

I've never had a Rage not deploy. I started with hypodermics, but I really like the Trypan heads (except for the price)

I used my last Trypan last week on a black bear. Good bear, passthrough, arrow on ground. Sometimes I have not got pass though, like on my big Kansas buck last year.

After 5 years .... I can say the Rage heads and likely most high quality mechanicals are good heads for whiteails etc. Would I use them for elk? I think I'd go Slick Tricks on elk but I could see others trusting Rage heads on elk.

I really can't argue the new mechanicals are junk anymore - the ones I've used have worked well, they've bent a bit on hard hits but never a blade sheared off or anything like that. They're sharp, cut a big hole. I can't really say they get less penetration either - although physics still remain the same that a 10" cut or 8" or 3" cut will use more energy than a 1.25" cut .....

So yeah, I've changed my views on mechanical heads I guess. Don't ya'll ever say the 'cat is too stubborn to change. I kicked a wife of 24 years to the curb, started using mechanical broadheads, use a spinning reel 95% of the time and wear silk underwear and Uggs when I hunt .... I am a modern adaptable bowhunter :love:
I made the switch to rage hypos/trypan about 6 years ago...it was a good decision, though I still shoot fixed some too. My wife of 10yrs is gone and I upgraded to a younger, prettier, all around better woman. I too use a spinning reel alot...I havent went silk yet, but by god I may just try it. No uggs for me though..A man has to draw a line somewhere.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I made the switch to rage hypos/trypan about 6 years ago...it was a good decision, though I still shoot fixed some too. My wife of 10yrs is gone and I upgraded to a younger, prettier, all around better woman. I too use a spinning reel alot...I havent went silk yet, but by god I may just try it. No uggs for me though..A man has to draw a line somewhere.
I think he meant to say silk pantyhose...

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
Glad to see you aren’t as stubborn as you seem.
I believe weight, speed, and sharpness have more to do with penetration than what brand or style of BH are screwed on the end.

·
Registered
15,840 Posts
Do you guys know how Rage broadheads got their name? Its because all they do is piss a deer off when you shoot one with them. :ROFLMAO:

Just joking, I dont care what ya shoot. If they make you happy then I am happy for you.

·
Premium Member
18,222 Posts
I’ve shot Rage from the beginning, never an issue.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I got some wasp heads
3 pack
Probably last me 10 yrs at this rate
They are paid for so Im gonna use them long as I can
I have confidence they will work if I hit the chest cavity

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I saw the tv personalities. Drury bros / lee-Tiffany etc getting horrible penetration with rage. I don’t know that I ever saw a pass through. So I ruled them out. Went to kentucky and hunted with some guys that I met duck hunting. They all shot rage and I was sold after that weekend. I went from slick trick standards to rage 125 gr 2-blade. The devastation is incredible and have blown through several shoulders. Killed bear, deer in several states, etc. I’m a believer if your bow is set up correctly.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts