Registered
2,993 Posts
How? Would they AGFC close season?
Just for the honest Hunter?

How you going to stop the poachers?

Not enough Game Wardens....

How ya Going to do it?

Whose going to Enforce it?
Sounds like the same argument as being pushed for gun control. It's an outlaws dream come true. My thought is to bring season on the 5th of April statewide. Close it at the end of two weeks. Place a $1000 dollar reward for conviction of out of season hunting,or over the limit. Minimum of 5 years loss of hunting and fishing Rights. A lot of people would turn their mother in for a thousand dollars. Also keep the name of the informant anonymous. But the violators name should be made public.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I don’t think complaining is the problem. The condition of the flocks are. Turkeys have a lot going against their survival and a lot of demands for hunting opportunities. They just don’t make enough of them to go around.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Like many others have said, this is not a simple problem with a simple solution. I personally think that a one bird, 14-21 day season starting around April 1 would probably be best. I just wanted to point out that having different north and south openers could lead to some very real problems. I think we will get a better look at those problems when Georgia goes to different openers on private and publc.

·
Registered
842 Posts
How many birds can you harvest per hunter now? Here it is one and i honestly think that helps our population. I don't always like it because some years my season is over in 10 minutes but others it goes the full distance. We all know that reengages are going to reengage no matter what the law says so that shouldn't be taken into a factor. I know I don't have a dog in the fight for your state I am just talking to better understand your situation. Has there been any poles done on here that ask members if they would want to leave limits as is or reduce to 1 or anything like that? Just curious what the forum members would say to that.

·
Premium Member
14,080 Posts
Like many others have said, this is not a simple problem with a simple solution. I personally think that a one bird, 14-21 day season starting around April 1 would probably be best. I just wanted to point out that having different north and south openers could lead to some very real problems. I think we will get a better look at those problems when Georgia goes to different openers on private and publc.
Simple solution is to make one buy their license based in North vs South zone.

As much as I hate paying more money, a separate turkey tag would be nice to actually determine how many are chasing them and allow north/south tags to be sold.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I've never killed one to test the theory, but I feel like I could clear a 5 strand barbed wire fence with a 20lb turkey given the right circumstances.
It’s easier if you and your buddy are on the same page and one carries the gear while the other holds the wire.
That’s what I’ve heard at least.
My fastest runs have always been when there was a sense of urgency. I figure highest jumps are about the same.

·
Premium Member
14,080 Posts
I've never killed one to test the theory, but I feel like I could clear a 5 strand barbed wire fence with a 20lb turkey given the right circumstances.
Getting old will slow your fence jumping days. Or so I've been told.

What I know is I haven't had the need to jump one in many years. But there was a time....

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Getting old will slow your fence jumping days. Or so I've been told.

What I know is I haven't had the need to jump one in many years. But there was a time....
You think God will take fault on judgement day for all those birds on the other side of the fences?
I sure hope I get credit for the ones I didn’t chase that I could have.

·
Premium Member
14,080 Posts
You think God will take fault on judgement day for all those birds on the other side of the fences?
Being young and stupid is surely forgivable! Not to mention, it's a turkey! A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

·
Registered
415 Posts
EXACTLY. I’ve listened to those gobbling on the other side of the fence many a year. Could I have killed it? Absolutely. Could I have gotten away with it? Absolutely. Is it legal, safe, and ethical? Absolutely not! There’s a huge difference between hunting and killing.

·
Registered
12,425 Posts
EXACTLY. I’ve listened to those gobbling on the other side of the fence many a year. Could I have killed it? Absolutely. Could I have gotten away with it? Absolutely. Is it legal, safe, and ethical? Absolutely not! There’s a huge difference between hunting and killing.
You will have to just overlook all these heathen poachers.

·
Premium Member
24,031 Posts
Just more Fun..Lol..
789392415.jpg

21 - 40 of 51 Posts