Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned in a recent thread that I had a hog bump a turkey off of me Saturday evening. I went back there this morning and one of the two turkeys was gobbling in exactly the same spot. He was in an cedar bottom. It had been flooded and there was mud up 5 to 6 feet on all the trees. Nothing has greened un in there and it looked kind of dead. I knew he could see good and would be looking hard so I put a hen decoy out. He was 120 steps when I first called. He cut me off. About 3 minutes later I called and he answered at 100 steps. About 3 minutes later I called and he gobbled at 80 steps. I saw him when he was about 75 steps out. He was putting on a show. When he got to 60 steps, I clucked a few times when a mouth call and he stared and saw my decoy and he had a break down. He met the jellyhead at 18 steps. He was a jake with a 5 inch beard and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I don't kill jakes on private land, but won't hesitate on public land. He was on corp land on the Red River in North Texas.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am from Arkadelphia and have been living in Texas for 10 years. I actually hunt more in Arkansas than in Texas. I am in the process of moving home. I will be living near Dalark (between Arkadelphia and Sparkman) and will be commuting to Lockheed Martin in Camden. I have been listening to turkeys on the family farm the last 3 mornings and can't wait for Saturday!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.