Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by pruitt76, Dec 19, 2010.

1. pruitt76

pruitt76 Well-Known Member

How much variance is typical with different types of ammo? I was sighting in my AR yesterday and I started with some cheaper PMC 55 gr fmj. I'm planning on shooting Winchester Silvertip Ballistic Tips 55 gr so I shot a couple of them after I sighted the gun in with the PMC. They were probably about 2-3 inches low and left at 100yds. I'm now dialed in for the Winchester ammo. Is this amount of variance normal?

Brian

2. QCDually5.9

QCDually5.9 Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor

I can't say as far as the difference in the two listed loads in your gun. .... But it is not uncommon to get a wide range of patterns from different loads. That's what makes hand loading for your specific rifle so important for pin point accuracy

3. pruitt76

Thanks guys. That's what I was thinking.

4. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

Yes it is common. That is why it is important to sight in with specific load for hunting. I have a 22 magnum that shoots great but groups for one ammo I shoot is 2 inches high and left at 50 yards of the other load I normally shoot.
    My 35 whelen shoots 200 gn bullets 4" higher than 250gn at 100 yds.

5. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator

NE Ark
    Like the others have said, it would be typical to find that much, it not more, variance.

You are using 2 completely different profile bullets, FMJ vs BT, plus every component is different.

This is why it's so important to sight in with the ammo you are going to hunt with. The guy that sights in with the Federal ammo he bought 2 or 3 years ago and then the night before opening day of MG season runs to Wal Mart and buys a box of Remington ammo is in for a crap shoot in the accuracy department.

6. pruitt76

Thanks guys. I always sight in my gun with the ammo I'm going to hunt with. I just started with the cheaper ammo to get it close. I just didn't know what to expect when switching from one to the other. It shoots the ballistic tips really nice. Hoping to try it on some varmints soon. :thumb: