Is this all you need to build an AR?

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by johnf, Dec 17, 2010.

1. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

Would this kit be worth it? Anything missing? Don't see a sight.

2. tony r

tony r Moderator<br>Bowhunting<br>Guns, Ammunition, Reloa

no sights in this kit but has rails front & back where they can be mounted if your not going to use optics

that is all you need other than some AR tools for assy & ffl transfer fee on lower. tony

3. tony r

tony r Moderator<br>Bowhunting<br>Guns, Ammunition, Reloa

4. belliott

belliott Well-Known Member

cheaperthandirt.com has some pretty good prices to

5. jwalker

jwalker Well-Known Member

Yep !! Model 1 Sales has some cool options too.

6. Mbpike

Mbpike Well-Known Member

In todays AR market your able to get the same or sometimes even more for less. Here are 2 options on lowers that are going to be the same quailty for cheaper.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...o+LOW15+Stripped+AR+Lower+Receiver&groupid=53

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...ike's+Tactical+AR15+Lower+Receiver&groupid=53
    (I'm a huge fan of spikes, they make top notch products and stand behind there work. And the lower looks pretty cool to.)

As far as upper goes you can go the route of putting it together your self or you can buy one already put together

Here is a basic upper that has 16" 1x9 twist 5.56 chambered chrome moly Bull Dog barrel with M4 profile.

http://www.jsesurplus.com/custom16hbarmidlength1x9flattopuppercompletestandard-2-1.aspx

They want a bone breaking $335 for a pre assembled

Like I said there are alot of options our there in the Ar15 world so your best bet is to do some research, talk to alot of people and do what I did. KEEP A SPREAD SHEET of all the best deals and where you found them. While searching for deals you will go to alot of web pages and look at alot of junk. Remember some people just because they have good prices on the product they will kill you on shipping. Hope this helps. And if your into online forums check out ar15.com they have a BST where you can find deals. I found a DPMS LPK for 50 shipped to my door. Just a thought and I hope this helps

7. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator

NE Ark
    If you don't have the tools you would be better off buying an assembled upper. A fully assembled upper, LPK and stripped lower will get you in business.

8. alexanderg23

alexanderg23 Well-Known Member

NWA
    Check out del-ton.com

9. demented

demented Well-Known Member

I have the tools if anyone wants to come here to get one done.(free) Personally I'd just buy everything from Del-Ton so its already been put together.

10. Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

yes, check out delton they have good prices ($465 for kit) and products! Spike's has great products and customer service but sometimes they put extra thick coating on their lowers and roll pins are hard to insert, but finish is nice. Model 1 sales are extremely slow to ship.
    That DPMS sportical at budsgunshop.com just doesn't look right to me, an AR should have a foward assist on it whether you think it needs it or not now days.
    These are just my opinions I did lots of research with these companies before I built mine.

11. flintknapper

flintknapper Moderator/smokepole pimp

Here's a deal on a lightweight 16" flatty:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU5025MOE

500 frog skins sounds high until you consider the chrome-lined bore and bolt carrier, not to mention the sexy Magpul hand-guard. The picture shows an M4 profile barrel, but the text says it comes with a 1:7 pencil (light) profile tube. And it ships freight free! I think maybe my wife needs one of these...:whistle:

12. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator

NE Ark
    Ho, Ho, Ho!! :thumb:

13. Rifleman75

Rifleman75 Well-Known Member

Ya'll checkout www.rguns.net they have some good deals sometimes. I ordered a DPMS 24'' stainless fluted flattop upper with bolt carrier and charging handle for $599 and $15 shipping. It shoots great...

14. 10pointman

10pointman Waterfowl forum Sheriff<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Co Staff Member

This reminded me of ole John Styles and his smashed frog that he carried around in his pocket.:fit::fit::fit:
    Come on John,Tell us that story again!!!

I found it:
    I picked up a bigole toad frog that was smashed so flat, everything inside squirted out his mouth....he was kinda petrified in a leathery sorta way. I kept him in the slash zippered pocket of my leather M/C jacket, and showed him to many a stoned biker....which was a dadgum attraction worthy of the Barnum and Baily Freak show....I might add! Till some low life stole him from me!~john

15. flintknapper

flintknapper Moderator/smokepole pimp

...Can't imagine how I missed that story from John...:biggrin:

16. Mbpike

Mbpike Well-Known Member

They have the worse CS I have ever delt with. I think it took them 5 weeks to ship 8 lowers to the FFL I was working with. After 2 weeks I started calling on a daily basis and everyday I got a different story from the same guy. You can google rguns.net reviews and I'm not the only one. Ar15.com has had nothing but problems with them.

17. Rifleman75

Rifleman75 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that, I had good luck with them. Maybe I just got lucky or they have changed. I ordered from them on the advice of a friend who had also had good luck dealing with them.