Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the rule book it says that a legal bird has to have a 6 inch beard. I have seen jakes with beards that are that long. If the bird doesn't strut how can you tell at 30 or 40 yards. Or is it considered a legal bird??? :head:

·
Registered
22,579 Posts
Well crap. Now I gotta take a tape measure to the woods and measure before I shoot.

Or I could just ground check them if they gobble.

Right Bird Dog? ;)

·
Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey
13,110 Posts
bird dog washington has alwayz been a huge advocate of ground checking techniques.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
just be sure it is a deep throated, well matured gobble..... don't ground check it if it is high pitched, or "youthful" sounding.... :fit:

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I've been turkey hunting since 1980 and the one thing I can tell you is to not judge whether a bird is legal or not by the gobble.
2 years ago I walked away from a "jake". A couple hours later I come back through the area and catch the same bird doing the same high pitched half hearted gobble in a pasture about 100 yds from where he was earlier. Put the binocs on him and low and behold he was a nice bird. 20 minutes later I tied my tag to 1 1/4 inch spurs. His gobble was a joke.

Flip side , I've sat up on what I thought was a hammering 2 year old only to see a jake strut into view.

I've even seen a hen sound like a weak jake gobbling. Don't know why or how she did it but. 2 of us watched her do it 5-6 times.

Go figure. Just when you think you have them figured out they will throw a curve ball at you.

·
Super Member<br>2015 Spring Turkey Team Contest Wi
Arrow
2,436 Posts
I have seen hens strut and even heard em try to gobble. Spur aint kiddin.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Two years ago in Tennessee I filmed a hen at 15 strutt for about 20 minutes and she tried to gobble three different times!! Never know what your gonna see with turkey's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts