Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
15.03 ANTLER REQUIREMENTS 04-98 It is unlawful to remove the antlers from the carcass of a buck deer prior to checking the deer using an official wildlife check method. PENALTY: Class 1

Straight from the agfc code book. If you want the antlers, legally you have to tag and check it.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I think its fine, one of the local game wardens and I have a race to see who gets the antlers first.

But not in Texas is criminal.

I picked up a road kill yesterday, it was crippled before being hit had part of a hoof missing and healed over. The antlers still have dried velvet on them.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
A WO will issue you a transfer tag if YOU hit the deer. This will allow you to take it to a processor and do whatever you want with it. Not sure about a random one that someone did a hit and run on. I've seen a few missing their headgear on the side of the road though! I know for a fact that you can't remove antlers from a dead elk on the Buffalo!

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
A WO will issue you a transfer tag if YOU hit the deer. This will allow you to take it to a processor and do whatever you want with it. Not sure about a random one that someone did a hit and run on. I've seen a few missing their headgear on the side of the road though! I know for a fact that you can't remove antlers from a dead elk on the Buffalo!
you can't even take sheds off of federal land along the Buffalo

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
You say that it does not apply to roadkill, but there is not an exception written into the law. The roadkill excuse is what every poacher says when they get caught with several sets of freash antlers with no tags on them.
I dont know for sure either way, but it just would seem ridiculous.
I know when my dad hit a deer, he reported it to the police for insurance. They told him he could keep it, and the officer also mentioned that they had a list of families that would take the deer if we didnt want it.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Call and ask em I think they will let you have them - you dont check sheds when you pickem up either - I ran over one once called G and F - they told me I could have it - I declined told them someone else could pick it up - but it was still there the next day . I know others that have called them and they always let folks have em - better safe than sorry though

·
Member<br>2017 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner
179 Posts
I picked up a big 9 one year in maumelle and just called game and fish and told them and they wrote me down on a list that it was roadkill and that was that till someone stole the antlers and meat from my ice chest that night!!!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
That is because the FEDS are invovled with the Buffalo, you cant pick up sheds or anything legally.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.