Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8 year old son and I have been working very hard baiting bears getting ready for season to open. I want to give my son Drake first shot at a bear should we be fortunate enough to have a shot opportunity. He will be shooting with a crossbow. He killed his first deer last year at 24 yards with xbow and killed a Tom this past spring with a .410. We practice regularly and he is a pretty good shot.
So my question is not is he to young in regards to ability but rather is almost 9 year old to young to really appreciate Bear success if it happens?
Part of me says make him wait until atleast 12 years old and another part of me says do it now while the opportunity is there because we honestly dont know the future.
I think I'm leaning towards do it now!! But I do want to know your thoughts.

·
Registered
447 Posts
There is always a debate about how young is to young and I say every kid is different. If he shows that he can handle the pressure and shoot, which it sounds like he has already demonstrated go for it. Exercise your parental rights now before the dems take it away. Like they say, tomorrow isn't promised to anyone.

·
Super Moderator
9,359 Posts
I think what you are questioning is not his ability to shoot the bear...but more the maturity to appreciate the opportunity and experience of taking a bear?
You know him best. But if he is invested and willing to put in the effort to help do the baiting and learning the proper shots to take ethically on a bear, and how to properly identify a bear that is a good one to shoot...that would bode well for him appreciating it as he had to work a bit for it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. I agree with them all.
I enjoy taking my children and seeing them have success, especially if they have work invested into the hunt. Which we all know baiting bears is a JOB. We have 4 baits going right now. 3 in Oklahoma and 1 in Arkansas.

·
Registered
860 Posts
My daughter killed her first bear last year and had just turned 10. She had killed several deer up until that point but said that the bear was what she was most proud of. I definitely wouldn’t hesitate letting him shoot one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.