Is 9mm worth reloading?

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by tdf, Jan 5, 2011.

1. tdf

tdf Well-Known Member

Maybe I just havent found good enough deals on bulk jacketed bullets or maybe I should shoot lead, if that will bring the price down, but in yalls opinion is reloading 9mm worth it. I have a Lee turret press if that changes anyones mind. I've heard some say they can reload for pennies, I just haven't figure out how yet, am I missing something. You can still find some deals on 9mm ammo so I was wondering if reloading 9mm is worth it in money and time.

2. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member

NE Ark
    If you just shoot a few boxes a year, probably not. If you shoot that many a month, it might be worth it. Shooting lead will be cheaper than shooting jacket bullets, but lead is dirtier to handle.

If you buy 1000 HC lead bullets for $40, 1000 primers for $20 and a pound of powder for $20, you can load 1000 rounds of 9mm for ~$70, because you will only use about half the pound of powder.

3. eatmorelk

eatmorelk Well-Known Member

reloading 9mm

I used to reload 9mm and 40s&w ,but I could never keep from having a few jams.I don't think it would be worth it with 9mm ammo at 8.99 a box.But that's up here,it may be more in Ar..

4. tdf

tdf Well-Known Member

Where would be a good place to look for these lead rounds and primers? I cant find anything that cheap. I dont shoot a ton, and havent shot much since deer season started but I probably shoot about 300-400 rounds a month now that my deer season is over.

5. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

There is a place in VanBuren that makes lead bullets. I'll see if I can find the number.

6. arcountryboy

arcountryboy Well-Known Member

Message Kfarm on here, he gave me some reloaded 9's and 38's with lead so I'm sure he know's where to get them.

7. tdf

tdf Well-Known Member

Thanks fellas, if yall know of anywhere online too that offers the best deals and that yall would recommend send the info my way.

8. loki

loki Well-Known Member

Years ago I swore off handloading. I just didn't think I had the time for it. So, I chose a rifle in .308 and a 9mm. Good, inexpensive ammo was available thru winchester, white box stuff. It worked out pretty well. Unfortunately, things change. That ammo has increased in cost and worse.....became hard to get. Time for a reset. I'm reloading now. I saved all that brass from over the years. I don't know what I'm spending on 9mm ammo these days but I've got tons of brass and even when times were bad for finding loaded ammo I could still find components when I tried. So, now I'm reloading 9mm. Not too bad. Sometimes you just havta' change with the times.

9. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member

NE Ark
    Yea Loki, I remember the days of surplus Port and Aussie 7.62x51 for just over $100 per thousand, and I have shot cases of the South Afrikan 5.56x45 that we bought about 8 or 10 years ago for $279 per 2700 round case. I still have ~6 to 7K of 7.62x39 that I bought for $66/K shipped.

Man, the good ole days of surplus ammo... :biggrin:

10. loki

loki Well-Known Member

Right now availability would seem to top other considerations. Pity. Of course there's no reason a man can't buy both components and store bought ammo. Right now I'm pleasantly surprised. I've a good little load that's accurate, powerful, and hollow point. What's wrong with being able to practice with the load you carry? Just a thought.

11. tdf

tdf Well-Known Member

My uncle has cases and cases of that South African .308. I wish you could find bulk ammo at those prices these days.

12. flintknapper

flintknapper Moderator/smokepole pimp

A little off the subject here, but the closest thing to the good old days is the "new" Ruskie ammo, 5.45 X 39:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A54539R

$240.00 for 2160 rounds ain't bad. I've considered buying an AR upper for that caliber, just to stock up on cheap ammo.

13. horseshoe1

www tennessee valley bullets phone 731 549-3821 has some good bullets. Will meet you at gun show in L R if you call ahead and order. Another place is wwwlead cast bullets haven't bought any there yet stock up ben told he has some good bullets.horseshoe1