Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if my boy was to young to go deer hunting yet. He is 3 and loves watching the hunting shows with me I just don't know if it is still to early or not.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Re: 3-year-old on deer stand

Just my opinion. From what I've experienced taking little ones on hunting and fishing trips, the best way to make it a good start for them is to think with their mind and see with their eyes. If you have a good ground blind in a safe area, that might be better than a ladder stand or off-the-ground box stand. Make sure to bring along snacks, maybe a coloring book or story book, some drinks, etc. Plus, figure on making it an afternooner or a late-morning venture the first time. It seems like the daylight doesn't creep the wee ones out nearly as much as the unknown things moving around in the dark. Also, figure on the possibility of going home without a shot. I had a friend's young son with me one time and saw a buck running at us in the woods. We were sitting in a blowdown on a log. I whispered to him that I saw a deer and it was a buck. He promptly sprang to his feet and asked where while turning a complete 360 degrees. Just make sure that this is HIS trip. That's my best advice, for whatever it is worth.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
3 is a little young to me to be going to the stand. Something else you may consider is just parking the truck somewhere where he can see some deer. He'll get the same effect.

·
Moderator<br>Help Forum<br>
792 Posts
I plan on taking my 4-year-old daughter out this year. We just built a nice enclosed box stand on our property that i'll take her to. Not too high off the ground, steps with hand rail leading to the door, etc. I wouldn't take her into a ladder stand or anything like that this young. I plan on taking her some snacks and drinks, coloring books, etc. as mentioned above and I will be leaving the bow at the house. I just want her to experience what it is like to see the deer coming so close and getting to watch them. If she makes some noise and scares them off; so what? If she gets excited to see them up that close and it makes her want to spend more time outdoors then i'll deal with having a hunting spot blown for a little while. Seems more than worth it to me.

And just the fact that you want to get your kid out in the woods at an early age shows the kind of person you are. There need to be more parents like you out there. Just make sure you put safety first and remember that it is his trip. When he wants to leave, call it a day. If you force him to stay or make him sit still and be quiet, he probably won't want to go back again.

·
Registered
248 Posts
When I was 3 my dad bundled me up and took me out with him deer hunting. At the time he was doing it because mom had to go to work that day and there was no other way for him to be able to go hunting. I guess he never thought much about it till I brought it up to him 32 yrs later and told all I remembered about that day and how I was fairly certain it had a lot to do why I developed a strong love for the outdoors and hunting. He looked shocked and said he barely remember that day, and he recalled that we never saw anything. I told him it was the fact that he took me with him that made it a memory I'll keep forever and then I reminded him that we saw a fox, several squirells, and while we were walking to the stand in the dark we about stepped on a covey of quail and both of us jumped and was sure the world done blew up. Dad just cocked his head, smiled and said "We did didn't we!"

I say if you take him out knowing that its about spending time together then its never too young. If the intent is to kill a dear then its probably going to be a waste of time for both of you.

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
I'm planning on taking my 3 year old son Luke out at least once this year. Probably be in a ground blind during bow season, and after I kill something.:up:

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,564 Posts
I'm planning on taking my 3 year old son Luke out at least once this year. Probably be in a ground blind during bow season, and after I kill something.:up:
Depends on how much danger you're willing to expose your child to....what did the wife think about your plan?:confused:

·
Registered
20,744 Posts
When I was 3 my dad bundled me up and took me out with him deer hunting. At the time he was doing it because mom had to go to work that day and there was no other way for him to be able to go hunting. I guess he never thought much about it till I brought it up to him 32 yrs later and told all I remembered about that day and how I was fairly certain it had a lot to do why I developed a strong love for the outdoors and hunting. He looked shocked and said he barely remember that day, and he recalled that we never saw anything. I told him it was the fact that he took me with him that made it a memory I'll keep forever and then I reminded him that we saw a fox, several squirells, and while we were walking to the stand in the dark we about stepped on a covey of quail and both of us jumped and was sure the world done blew up. Dad just cocked his head, smiled and said "We did didn't we!"

I say if you take him out knowing that its about spending time together then its never too young. If the intent is to kill a dear then its probably going to be a waste of time for both of you.
Good point

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I think 3 is fine, as long as it's fun for them, and if they get cold or tired of being there you leave so they will still enjoy it next time. It also depends how well behaved they are, I know some kids older that I wouldn't want to take, no respect and terrible. I plan on taking my kids even if my husband thinks they aren't old enough, if they can walk and listen they are going. But it will be in a ground blind, they can have food, drink, etc. and i'm sure they will be behaved, that is what spanking is for. I'd pack my stuff and take him along for sure and most likely some afternoon. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
14,112 Posts
As with many things, extreme care should be taken when taking little kids out--they're so curious and have lots of energy. We've heard all the horror stories about ATV's, but I can also relate a story about a kid we took out several years ago. My very good friend took his son--2 or 3 years old---on a muzzleloading trip. After the morning hunt, as we were walking out, I went ahead to a thicket, and some of the others were going to attempt to walk through and run deer out. As soon as I got to the other side, I heard a shot, so I waited patiently for the rest of the group to come through from the other side. A little while later I looked over beside the thicket and I saw them carrying something----it was Colin, the little boy. As I approached them, I could see that his face was covered with blood. What happened was, as they were waiting for me to get set, curious little Colin said he wanted to look through the scope of his uncle's muzzleloader. The uncle, a wonderful guy, and one who I would trust with anything, agreed to let him look through the scope. While looking, Colin reached up and pulled the trigger and the gun fired, the scope striking him in the eye. Why was it cocked? Or was it cocked???? I don't think anyone knew, but we made a flying trip to the doc, and all turned out well. He's now 13, and he's one of my favorite hunting buddies. We've been on many hunts together, and I'm always reminded of that incident when I see the scar on the side of his nose. Please be careful. Accidents happen, and yes, I'm sure this one could have been prevented, but that's why they call 'em accidents---not "on purposes."

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
As with many things, extreme care should be taken when taking little kids out--they're so curious and have lots of energy. We've heard all the horror stories about ATV's, but I can also relate a story about a kid we took out several years ago. My very good friend took his son--2 or 3 years old---on a muzzleloading trip. After the morning hunt, as we were walking out, I went ahead to a thicket, and some of the others were going to attempt to walk through and run deer out. As soon as I got to the other side, I heard a shot, so I waited patiently for the rest of the group to come through from the other side. A little while later I looked over beside the thicket and I saw them carrying something----it was Colin, the little boy. As I approached them, I could see that his face was covered with blood. What happened was, as they were waiting for me to get set, curious little Colin said he wanted to look through the scope of his uncle's muzzleloader. The uncle, a wonderful guy, and one who I would trust with anything, agreed to let him look through the scope. While looking, Colin reached up and pulled the trigger and the gun fired, the scope striking him in the eye. Why was it cocked? Or was it cocked???? I don't think anyone knew, but we made a flying trip to the doc, and all turned out well. He's now 13, and he's one of my favorite hunting buddies. We've been on many hunts together, and I'm always reminded of that incident when I see the scar on the side of his nose. Please be careful. Accidents happen, and yes, I'm sure this one could have been prevented, but that's why they call 'em accidents---not "on purposes."
Accident's would be my concern also. Why even expose them to the dangers in the woods? Take them to a ballgame or take them to the park, take them fishing. There's plenty of ways to bond with a 3 year old that don't involve the risks inherently associated with firearms and other hunters.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The Main Thing To Remember Besides Safety Is That Young Kids Have A Very Short Attention Span. I Took My Two Daughters Hunting Last Fall They Were 3 And 5 Years Old At The Time. We Had Drinks, Snacks, Colors, Coloring Books, And Books To Read. They Had The Best Time, They Did Get A Little Scared Right Before Dark So I Decided To Leave At Their First Tremble. I Did Not Want To Ruin Their First Hunt And Make Them Hate It. We Saw Several Turkeys And Squirells And Coons, No Deer. As Much Noise And Movement As They Made It Would Have To Be A Deaf Dumb And Blind Deer To Have Come Out; But It Was Not About Killing Anything It Was All About Having Quality Time With Them And Letting Them See The Wonderful Things In The Woods That God Has So Blessed Us With To Enjoy. The Trip Went So Well I Think They Are More Excited About The Upcoming Hunting Season Than I Am. My Oldest One Thinks She Is Gonna Kill One This Year. That Is Still An Ongoing Coversation Between Me And My Wife. Unfortunatly I Believe I Know Who Will Win That One.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.