Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Santa gave me a TC prohunter last year. I could not get any accuracy from the recommeded saboted bullets. I tried four brands/weights and really got frustrated. :frown:

Then I tried the 245gr. PowerBelts and am amazed. I am getting 1in groups at 100yds and under 2inches at 150yard. To top that, the bullet is barely dropping. I have the scope set 1.5 inch high at 50 yards. I am hitting about 1in high at 100yards, and bulls eye at 150yards (using three 50gr. Triple 7 pellets). Again, I am finally seeing the rifles capabilities. :biggrin:

Now, I see a new platinum Powerbelts in 270gr. They claim greater accuracy, vilocity, and expansion. :head:

I know some guys question the performance (expansion) of the powerbelts. And, since I have only shot paper with em, I can't comment on expansion. I am wondering if I should experiment with this heavier bullet to minimize expansion problems, or will the dead on 245gr be enough for an unlucky whitetail?

Anybody have experience with either of these bullets? Which route would you go?

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
People kill deer all the time with 60gr. 223 bullets. You've got something that works that's going to put a big hole in an animal. I would leave well enough alone.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
245 grains will kill just about anything in North America! With the way you're shooting now, I'd be tickled. You can try the bigger bullets if you just want to experiment, but any advantage in terminal ballistics would be hard to measure. How dead is dead? :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I shoot 174g. Aerotip Powerbelts out of my CVA .45 cal.... great accuracy ... nice ballistics , and I killed 2 8pt. bucks last season with them and neither went more than 20 - 30 yds. and piled up ..... they expanded really well, no complaints.

Stick with what you are doing... see how they perform, before you decide they don't perform well enough ...

Good luck and God Bless

MET

·
Administrator
89,107 Posts
245 grains will kill just about anything in North America! With the way you're shooting now, I'd be tickled. You can try the bigger bullets if you just want to experiment, but any advantage in terminal ballistics would be hard to measure. How dead is dead? :biggrin:
I agree with flint! Heck, even if it didn't expand, it will be cutting a 45 caliber hole and WILL make full penetration on a broadside shot. I shoot Barnes 250 grainers in my 50 and the only bullets I recover are end to end shots. All broadside shots are complete penetration. With the accuracy you are getting, I wouldn't even think of trying anything else. I'd just make sure I had a good enough supply of those bullets to last several years.

·
Super Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
1,937 Posts
Santa gave me a TC prohunter last year. I could not get any accuracy from the recommeded saboted bullets. I tried four brands/weights and really got frustrated. :frown:

Then I tried the 245gr. PowerBelts and am amazed. I am getting 1in groups at 100yds and under 2inches at 150yard. To top that, the bullet is barely dropping. I have the scope set 1.5 inch high at 50 yards. I am hitting about 1in high at 100yards, and bulls eye at 150yards (using three 50gr. Triple 7 pellets). Again, I am finally seeing the rifles capabilities. :biggrin:

Now, I see a new platinum Powerbelts in 270gr. They claim greater accuracy, vilocity, and expansion. :head:

I know some guys question the performance (expansion) of the powerbelts. And, since I have only shot paper with em, I can't comment on expansion. I am wondering if I should experiment with this heavier bullet to minimize expansion problems, or will the dead on 245gr be enough for an unlucky whitetail?

I am shooting Speer .451 225gr. hollow point bullets with the black sabots. It costs me about .38 cents per shot. If cost is an issue to ya, I look at this route. The pre-packed bullets are extremely expensive.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In this hobby, I keep getting these "What if" questions going through my head..... and they all tend to cost me more money in the long run.:smack:

Thanks for keeping me grounded enough to leave good enough alone in this case...

I'll send you some pics of the results come mid October. I'll be here soon.:up:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I concur the "What If" questions do make it a sport. Always new ammo to try, or some new gadget. I admit, I fell victom to the "tact-i-cool" addiction for a while. No telling how much that cost me. When I lived in Memphis, gun modification became my number one past time. Out of necessity, of course... Glad to be back in AR for sure.

·
Registered
875 Posts

Never look a good group or superior penetration in the mouth. Don't touch it if it works. Unless you want to play.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.