insulation

Discussion in 'Home, Garden, and Yard' started by arcountryboy, Jan 2, 2011.

1. arcountryboy

arcountryboy Well-Known Member

Anyone have a average cost of blown insulation in the attic of a 20x80 brick home? I was in the attic yesterday and my insulation is about 2.5 inches below the rafters.

2. jrock

jrock Well-Known Member

We need this done as well... heard if you bought the insulation at Lowes they would let you use their blowing machine for free if you want to do it yourself but I dont know this for a fact.

3. 10pointman

10pointman Waterfowl forum Sheriff<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Co Staff Member

Yep, Think of it this way......The more insulation in the attic,The more heat does'nt go out the roof.

4. ksf04001

ksf04001 Well-Known Member

I dont know if they still do it (or if you want to do it yourself) but home depot used to let you rent the blower for free if you bought enough insulation. The average for a bag is about 40 sq ft and a bag cost around 7 or 8 dollars.

5. arcountryboy

I have a friend that works there, I will find this out tomorrow and also check on the price of the insulation then. I knew our house seemed to be colder this year and I ran a smoke check on my windows and sealed the leak up I found. The insulation was level year before last, it sure broke down quick.

6. fullcredit

fullcredit Super Moderator Staff Member

I recently had some blown into a 1200 sq. ft. rent house. Took 50 bags and cost a little over $800.00. I paid someone else to breathe all the dust......

7. Ozone

Ozone Well-Known Member

The problem with the bags and doing it yourself, is that they don't cover the rated amount, especially with the machinery they 'lend' you.

An honest professional is less hassle.

Make sure you blow cellulose into your attics. :)

8. Ozone

Ozone Well-Known Member

And I know other insulators across the state.

9. OughtSix

OughtSix Super Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Smart man! That stuff gets rough on the lungs fast.

Here locally, our electric company was running a deal to run an extra 12'' in attics for under $300. You may try calling your local company and see if they are running the same deal.

10. arcountryboy

Thanks, I'll check into that, I did some searching and I do think I would rather someone else do it!

11. OughtSix

OughtSix Super Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Your likely to have a mess if you don't. :biggrin: