Insulating floor joists

Discussion in 'Home, Garden, and Yard' started by jsilver919, Jan 2, 2011.

1. jsilver919

jsilver919 Well-Known Member

I started insulating the floor joists to our house today and found a whole new respect for everyone that does that sorta work for a living. I'm 6 2" and crawling around in the crawl space is def not my ideal afternoon. Hopefully the work will pay off and help keep the floors a little warmer. we have a large kitchen that is tile and when the weather gets cold that floor is like walking on ice. we are planning on putting hardwood in next yr so i figured with the "Bush" era taxes coming to an end i better do it so i can file it on my taxes this yr.

Has anyone else done this? and if so did it really make that big of a diff? guess i shoulda posted this b4 buying nearly 30 rolls of insulation....:head:

2. 10pointman

10pointman Waterfowl forum Sheriff<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Co Staff Member

I used to Insulate houses for a living a long time ago.And your right,Insulating under the floor was the worst part of the job.I hated it,A mixture of dirt,cobwebs and fiberglass in your eyes is not a good way to make a living!

And it should help your cold floor problem,Your heating bill too.:up:

3. jsilver919

some help on the heating bill would def be nice. i guess this is what i'll be doing every night after work few the next wk or so. next yr i guess i'll start in the attic space. need to make some storage space up there

4. 10pointman

Be sure and install the paper side up,towards the living space.And a hammer stapler would help if you can find one,Its easier in tight spots.

5. jrock

jrock Well-Known Member

Man I hope he didnt install paper side down! Can you imagine the look on his face when he reads this if he did!!! :eek:

6. 10pointman

oops, should've kept my mouth shut! It will still work either way......I think.

7. btech29

btech29 Platnium Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>Stud Duck

I lease a lodge in Kansas and the floor was like ice. I sprayed in insulation under the whole floor. You are very right, it was a pain. I was eating the foam insulation and got abunch in my eyes. In the end it made a very big difference.

8. jrock

jrock Well-Known Member

What did it tatse like B?

9. btech29

Well, it was kinda like a mixture of dog dukie and stale urine. Needless to say it aint something I want to try again.

10. jsilver919

ohh yes i did! luckily i only got 2 rolls up ughhhh

:mad::mad::mad:

i should make that guy at lowes that told me how to do it come fix it

11. OughtSix

OughtSix Super Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

It'll be fine ha.. We just spent two weeks under a house tryin to level a fallen floor, and moving 80lb concrete blocks, 5x5 posts and other junk to do the job sure is a workout!

I would much rather help you hang insulation! :fit:

If you can get ahold of a hand stapler(the push against and squeeze type) the tights spot wont be as bad. Hard to swing a stanley hammer stapler in tight spots.

12. ronpip

ronpip Well-Known Member

Just wondering how you know what these two items taste like? :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

13. btech29

I thought everyone did. :shrug:

14. jsilver919

ur rite i'd rather be doing the insulation. and thats the type of staple gun i have

15. Soupcansam

Soupcansam Well-Known Member

30 rolls I think I would have hired a spray on insulation company.

16. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member

NE Ark
    I'll just take your word for knowing what that tastes like. :smack:

17. jsilver919

trust me i wish i had!

18. gregh

gregh Well-Known Member

Hope you do not have a water problem under your house, The insulation can get wet by condensation and once it does it will not dry out and will cause your floorjoist to rot .

19. jsilver919

no water problems....i'm about half way done with it and sick and tired of doing it already! wish i had paid to have it sprayed

20. alexanderg23

alexanderg23 Well-Known Member

NWA
    Wait...my house is insulated to the T like in walls that don't need it at ALL, and I've wondered about doing the floors but have been told the the crawl space provides all the airspace I need and the cost savings aren't there. I only have wood heat, do I really lose alot of heat thru the floor?