Inherited a house, need some advice

Discussion in 'Home, Garden, and Yard' started by factory909, Feb 16, 2008.

1. factory909

factory909 Well-Known Member

I just inherited a house and I am trying to do a little remodeling. I layed laminate flooring, and I am doing this all backwards, but now I am need to do a little dry wall work. The instructions say use when 55F or warmer, is that outside temp, or ambient temp? Also, what type of paint should I use inside? There are so many options. Thanks for any advice on this.
    f909

2. octoberbuck

octoberbuck Guest

House

Since you just installed your floor, find all the blankets, sheets etc and tape them down to protect the floor. Use Blue tape so it hopefully will not damage you new floor. Dry wall is about the messiest thing you can do in the house. Just protect your floor. A word about laminates. Most are pictures attached to a substrate. If you scratch it through the picture, easy to do, you see the substrate and it is next to impossible to do a simple repair. Engineered floors are the next step up and have actual wood laminated onto a substrate. Leads to a whole new discussion.
    Paint-- Interior--. Buy the best you can! Cheap paint is cheap for a reason. Ceiling paint -- I hate Glidden!! Smells soured too. Covers fine but I get better coverage with Behr or Sherwin Williams ceiling paint. Ask for ceiling paint as it will save you money. On the walls I like eggshell. It has a finish that is washable and doesn't show defects in the wall surface. Stay away from gloss finishes. Flat paint will wash off. The advantage is you can paint it again and it will refresh. Bathrooms and kitchens I like the paints that are mildew resistant or exterior grade paints.
    One last word. If you have a room that requires more than 1 gallon, mix all the gallons together so any color differentiation will not present itself when you change over.

Temperature is referring to the area that you plan to work in.

Home Depot has a 20% off on Behr right now. Both Lowes and H D have miss matched paints at greatly reduced prices. If you can use the color.

Good luck.

3. 10pointman

10pointman Moderator Staff Member

Like He said.:thumb: :thumb:

4. Gary R

Gary R Well-Known Member

Yep, and darker colors show wall imperfection more than lighter shades. If going with dark shade, you can prime with a tinted primer.

5. lilturkeyhunter

lilturkeyhunter Well-Known Member

Iuka
    I paint, and any other construction/building stuff, in the summer with my dad for a little extra cash, and I will second the notion that cheap paint isn't worth what you save. My dad refuses to paint with anything but Valspar paint. It's higher, but well worth it. Color place from WM is a HUGE no-no! Behr is pretty good paint too, IMO, but Dad won't use it at all.

If you're painting anything dark, be sure to get a good primer under it. Kilz is good stuff. It'll cover anything.

Good luck. And FYI, drywallers are the messiest bunch you can have in your house. My apologies to any drywallers on this board. But you are messy! (I've done drywall with dad in the past, and he's messy too.)

Amy

6. Tony Harris

Tony Harris Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi Staff Member

If you go with tinted primer do not get 100% tint like you would in the final coat paint, go with 50%. Good paint is a must. Flat can be touched up anywhere and there will be little if any evidence a touchup happened. Egshel, while durable, does leave evidences of touchup due to sheen in sidelight conditions. Gloss is not bad to show touchup but it does show imperfections as does Semi Gloss in sidelight. If you are just doing spot patches in your drywall be sure and prime the patched area with a primer coat even if you are going to prime the entire wall, it will make your finish coat flow more evenly. Also ask your dealer for an 8x10 color card of the color you are wanting to use, it is a lot easier to 'see' the color on the wall that way. If you still want to use a color get it in a quart size to test it. Do not depend on what you see in another home unless you have simular lighting and ceiling heights, these can make a difference is how the finish product looks.

The temp is where the paint is being applied. Also after the floors are covered buy a rubber backed drop cloth to move with you as you work. They are cheap and are an added layer of protection. If you are replacing drywall do your cutting outside, if you are simply patching holes put down a piece of cardboard over your drop cloth where you are working. You can throw it away once the mudding is done and still have your drop cloth ready to use without drops of sheetrock mud on it.

When finishing sheetrock use a quartz light and when you think it is ready to paint shine the light along the length of the wall it will show you every dimple, pimple, dip and bump.

Like Octoberbuck said protect the floors. Some may have a 30 year finish but that is not against construction wear.

7. factory909

factory909 Well-Known Member

imperfections? haha...my dad when he originally did the walls he sealed his tapes and corners and screw holes and then took the spackle knife and went crazy with it just make brushes like you would with a paint brush all over the wall. so the walls are textured, so the imperfections are ok :)
    thanks for al the help.

8. Buba Garrett

Buba Garrett Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner

I been using Valspar it is not cheap but it is the best I have used but I am a amatuer at best!