Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into the idea of getting into reloading for personal benefit. I have been looking at all the different reloading tool manufacturers and am wondering if anyone out there has had experience with multiple manufacturers and their input on the quality of each. Any input is extremely appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
Get a "Midway USA" catalog and you will find a wide variety of good equipment to choose from. You can order a catalog on line or just shop on line. RCBS is one of the best, but for high volume loading you might want to look a "Dillon's," also on the INTERNET. :thumb:

·
Administrator
90,713 Posts
What they said. This hobby is like many others, you can put as much into it as you want to or can afford. Your budget will determine to a certain extent what you might look in to. If you only have $100 to spend, we could look at the budget equipment, it you have $1K or more, that opens up a whole new picture. I've loaded on everything from a Lee handloader to a Dillon Super 1050.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I am looking into the idea of getting into reloading for personal benefit. I have been looking at all the different reloading tool manufacturers and am wondering if anyone out there has had experience with multiple manufacturers and their input on the quality of each. Any input is extremely appreciated.
There are many labels and trademarks out there...some good and others great. All will do the job and reloaders tend to be biased toward brands they are familiar with

I use RCBS and Redding because that's what I grew-up using and I love them. Lyman, Hornady, Lee, Dillon, and other brands will work because they all share similar features. Ohaus is a name seldom used but they've made scales that carried the labels of RCBS, Lyman, and Hornady in the past, same with Pacific brand that made equipment for Dillon and Hornady.

I use RCBS and Redding and I know if I purchase anything with their name on it I won't have to worry about the quality.

Don't forget about e-bay. I've purchased quality Ohaus 505 scales for as low as $12. I was on one of my weekend "pawn-shop" treasure hunts back a few years ago and found a "New in the box" RCBS RC Master Reloading Kit for $100. The older ones that had a #12 Speer Manual and had the Trim-Pro case trimmer rather than the hand-prime tool. I had three complete master kits at the time so I mailed it to a buddy who gladly paid me what I had in it.

I could use almost any press but I feel like I would have to have a RCBS Trim-Pro case trimmer, RCBS Auto Prime priming tool, Ohaus Scale, and Redding or RCBS dies.

Good luck with your decisions. You'll love the hobby.

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
I jumped back into reloading after a long dry spell. Father in law and I got a Hornady Lock-N-Load progressive press. I'll say this- it works and is well built, but if I were just starting out, I'd seriously think about a single-stage or maybe a turret press, because you only mess up one thing at a time that way.

We've only got one dis about the Lock-n-load, and it's a small one. You have to use Hornady dies with their smaller diameter bottom on this progressive for the loaded cartridge ejector to work consistently. We've used all manner of different brand dies in the press, but only the Hornady's work right every time. I've modified ejectors to work OK with other dies, but it's a hassle. Other than that, we're really happy with it.

We've mostly used RCBS dies over the years in various single-stage presses and have not ever been disapointed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.