In between dog topics I have...........

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by soarkrebel, Jan 23, 2008.

1. I don't know why but all this dog banning stuff just made me want to build something ...........I guess I didnt need a dog box so I built something else with bars...............not done but coming along ............keep up the inspiring topics............:wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just the trailer gate...........

2. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

Nice trailor, but the sides aren't high enough and the bars are way too far apart to keep in all those dogs you were planning on running across mainbeam's place.:razz:

3. Yeah ............I don't think I would even consider letting a dog go around Mainbeam's place............I might get a pack of weiner dogs to run rats on his place!!!!!!!:razz:

4. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

Your place is kinda like mine....no expanded metal left.:razz:

5. I have some John but I have a propane tank smoker I am working on and need for that.

That stuff is high dollar:eek:

Well all steel is high but I love working with it.

I gotta start building some stuff to sell..............

[​IMG]

6. John Stiles

Stands to reason.....steel with as much air as steel.....:eek: high dollar:smack:

7. I didnt realize that one was so blurry.......

[​IMG]

8. John Stiles

Them hot water tanks don't last very long:razz:

9. Thats a old propane tank .......the kind that they used to bury in the ground.

It's pretty heavy and you have to use precautions when cutting it. I filled it with water and let it sit for 6 months before I cut. I was a little leary on the first cut cause propane can can linger and soak into the steel so I am told.

When I get her done I need a pig to go on it.:thumb:

10. John Stiles

:fit: :fit: :fit: .......BOOM.........:thumb:

11. EXACTLY!!!!!!!!:hair:

12. Down on the White

Down on the White Well-Known Member

Mercaptane the odorant that is used in natural gas will be asorbed into the steel also. That stuff is very flamable as well as plane stinks.

13. TheBattman

TheBattman Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn

Propane doesn't/cannot "soak in", but the odor they add to it can, particularly in rust or other funk stuff. Thus the reason a cooker made from a used propane tank needs to have a SERIOUS fire built in it when complete (and maybe even before you paint the outside....???) to help burn/smoke the propane odorant out. It may even take more than one.

One of our church members built a HUGE grill from a tank - I 'm not sure, but might be a 500 gallon tank. Anyway - we used it for the first time a couple of years ago - dang did it stink! You could smell the propane smell even with a roaring fire inside. He hadn't had a fire in it before then... we were worried the smell would "flavor" the steaks.... Wasn't too bad, but learned a lesson.

14. Arkie_3_fan

Arkie_3_fan Well-Known Member

I'm just thinking that once he gets that grill finished he needs to try it out by inviting us all up for a cookout.
    When we're done eating we can go run dogs on the national forest. :thumb:

15. beltcutter

beltcutter Well-Known Member

I have a weiner dog and she took offense to your post. She does not run rats and she knows what purple paint means. She says, and I quote, "My intellect far exceeds that of the common old deer dog. Proof is in the pudding, I stay in the nice house with my family."

I did inform her that most deer dogs stay in the house with their families as well, thumping their tails on the wood floor while other family members practice their banjos, if you get my drift.:thumb:

16. beltcutter

beltcutter Well-Known Member

...and by the way, nice trailer!

17. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

I've got some trout that could use a good smoking.:biggrin:

18. Beltcutter I am glad I wasnt taking a drink when I read that..............:fit: :thumb:

19. Yeah it still had that stinking stuff in it even after sitting for at least 2 decades behind my grandfathers. and after water being it.

TheBattman I wasn't sure just what I had heard. I knew I wanted to be as cautious as I could be.

I was planning on building a super blazer in it after I get the doors on. I mean put super dry hickory in it and get er hot!!

Any other ideas for what to burn it out with?

20. so does the soaking of water for a long period of time work? I have been told 3 months, 6 months and even a year by people who have built them out of tanks