im new at this

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Deadwood, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Deadwood

Deadwood Well-Known Member

Im new at this. im a 14 year old. i go with a buddy who is sixteen and im hunting the cossatot river. everytime we go we get a couple a piece. anyways i figured a correct decoy spred would help out? my dads been a few times but hes a deer huntin kinda guy so he wouldnt know. so my point being does any one have tips on a decoy spread?

2. cache man

cache man Well-Known Member

20 spinners is all you need!

3. factory909

factory909 Well-Known Member

What are you currently using right now? How many? What type? Being a river, does it provide enough movement for the decoys?

4. Deadwood

well just some handed down decoys the spot were i lay my layout near is bout 45 feet wide

5. BDW

BDW Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey

I probably wouldn't use more than a dozen, maybe dozen and a half. Put them on the upwind side of your setup. I like to put them in small individual groups of 2-3 each. Leave a hole for them to land in. Maybe rig 3 or so on a jerk string if there's no current.

6. bloody acorns

bloody acorns Well-Known Member

Get you a jerk string and rip it back and forth to get some movement going - wad em up in a couple of groups with a hole in the middle - only use the best looking decoys you have if they are losing paint wouldnt use them

7. rabbitdundied

rabbitdundied Well-Known Member

Put the wind at your back make a V or a C with a hole where you want them to land. Keep them painted and bright. Nothing beats a jerk string for movement.

8. Deadwood

Thank yall, ill try all of them

9. cutthemcootsboys

cutthemcootsboys Active Member

AR
    aggreed!! Birds on small rivers tend to like wherever there are bends in the river. Try scouting to see where the birds are milling to and from accross the river. Therefore, you might can break some high ducks down into your spread.

10. BowHunter21

BowHunter21 Select Member<br>2015-16 Deer Hunting Contest Winn

Sheridan
    Jerk string is real easy to make.. all you need is string, a bungee cord, and a stake (if you don't have a tree around).

Tie you a long leader from yourself to the first decoy, then tie 3 decoys together with about a foot and a half gap between each decoy and tie ur bungee cord to the last decoy.. tie that bungee cord to the stake or tree and your good to go!

You may already know this, but you said you're new so I was gonna let you know bout this before you went and spent some money

11. cobraron

cobraron Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner

I have taken a lot of ducks over a jerk string and two litter bottles painted black and white

12. Deadwood

thank yall, i had no idea bout the jerk string but ill sure give it a try.

13. Deadwood

what were the two litter bottles for? dumb question

14. bmccullough1

bmccullough1 Well-Known Member

Poor Boy Decoys!!! Poor boys have poor ways. What works, works!:)

15. cobraron

cobraron Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner

Painted black with one inch wide gloss white and they will move with the slightest wind

16. Deadwood

might just have t otry that, next week, my dads buddy is lettin me borrow his.

17. cacheman

cacheman Well-Known Member

Texas
    Anti Freeze jugs painted black work also.