Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
I have been married twice and to the same woman even she will tell you I can cook better that her. But I at this point is still waiting on her. Guess I am getting lazy.:thumb:

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
53,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well...this morning found me cutting two large buck shoulders into chips for barbeque. About 0700 James comes in to get a free cup of coffee and asks if I'm ready to go to the farm. I said NO....you are goin by yourself. And he came flying back in here at 0800, and tells me to come on we got a cow down. She had a big calf about 8 or 9 days ago.....and we banded the calf and have been goin every couple of days to keep and eye on the little guy. So when I get ther...she's in a low spot, laying left side down with her womb partially outside. I put her back together, and tried to get her up, but her rumen had gassed up and she couldn't, and out came the womb again. We just got back about thirty minutes ago, I put her back together and tried to get an air hose into her stomach, but she wouldn't swallow. I was just about to stick her rumen and she began belching a little, and got easy, so I didn't try to stick her. I got her situated where she was layin upright....left the tractor, a big bale, and my jacket for scent. I said a prayer over her, for her calfs sake, because he's up here at the house now, and I'll be stretched mighty thin to raise him without her help. Wouldn't hurt if I had some extra prayers.:wink:

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Delivered many of calve's myself I know the feelings prayer for you. DW
Believe it or not that was how when I was young I got rights to some of the most prime hunting ever in my life.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
John, when ever we have a cow do that, we wash off the womb best we can and then put sugar on it and stick it back in. It doesnt work all the time but does most of the time. The sugar makes it sticky and it will stay in long enough well... to stick...d2

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
John, I had a cow that had a prolapsed uterus several years ago. I had the vet out and he put 1 stitch with a big needle from the top to the bottom of opening. He said that I had better take it out before she came in or the bull would get a real surprise and might break something! :razz: I wouldn't have him out again, just do it myself. You can't go wrong. I'd also make the cow get up or she will get so stiff that she will never get up. It may be too late already. Good luck. By the way, have you noticed that stuff like that always happens on a 40 degree night with pouring rain?

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
John, I had a cow that had a prolapsed uterus several years ago. I had the vet out and he put 1 stitch with a big needle from the top to the bottom of opening. He said that I had better take it out before she came in or the bull would get a real surprise and might break something! :razz: I wouldn't have him out again, just do it myself. You can't go wrong. I'd also make the cow get up or she will get so stiff that she will never get up. It may be too late already. Good luck. By the way, have you noticed that stuff like that always happens on a 40 degree night with pouring rain?
You always no matter what get the cow up next make her go to her calf no matter what. if not both can die. maybe you can save the calf but just like a human baby get ready for all the bottle feedings. Been there done it.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
John, another thing, she wasn't laying with her back downhill was she? They'll die in a hurry if they get that way. Make sure her back is on the high side.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
53,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exactly....over the years, I can remember 4, and only one so far made it. It's 5 or 6 miles to the farm, so I can't make the trip every day. Made two trips today. I thought about the stitch[drawstring]and forgot the sugar when I went back down[got real mad about that]anyway, I got her put back in and sat with my knee against the back end for nearly an hour, and she kept it this time. I caught myself wondering if that dang bull didn't have something to do with this whole mess. When I got down there the second time, the creek had got out and she was in water:smack: Tied a rope around them long horns and dragged her to high ground before starting to work on her. When I left, you couldn't tell by looking at her that anything was amiss....except her calf. He's out back in the stock trailer...had a monster bolt of lightning hit CLOSE and when I went to check on him he was bawling and standing in the rain. Half the trailer is covered and I broke a bail of hay for his bed. He calmed down when he saw me. I'm wore slap out!:smack:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts