Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Member<br>'09 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner<br
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well all I can say is I don't think the weather could have been much worse than it was. Birds were somehow still gobbling despite the rain and cold temps. Well here's how it started. First morning found us close to our hotspot we found last year. Daylight broke and birds were hammering. We set up at the edge of a field and some cottonwoods and hoped for the best. Things were going good we thought till a thick fog set in which shut the birds up.By then we were staring face to face with a big boss hen that was yelping her head off not 10 yards from us. She continued to call for us and then we spotted 2 big strutters moving through the fog about 70 yards out. They were not interested in us as they had several hens with em. That's when 17 jakes moved in on us and would never leave. We finally had to just get up because every time we started calling they would walk right back up in our face. We decided to go to another place and long story short ended up bumping five longbeards that were together with no hens. Mental note to self try slipping to the top of that hill a little better next time. Oh well time to go eat dinner and regroup. We decided that we wouild go set up my popup blind so we would be out of the wind and rain. We put decoys out and was in the blind at 2:00. We did some very soft calling and about 4:00 we heard a gobble. Didn't take him long to arrive and I lowered the boom on him at about 45 yards. He had a 9 inch beard and 1 1/4 inch sharp spurs,20 pounds. We just left him lay as it was very early. About 5:00 we hear some more gobbling and out comes 12 hens draggin in those two big strutters we had seen that morning. Boom Boom two more nice longs down. My uncle's bird weighed 21 pounds and had 1 inch hooks and a 8 1/2 inch beard. My bird was a trophy he had a 10 inch beard weighed 22 pounds and 1 1/4 inch spurs but the kicker is he had a double spur on one foot. A first for me. We called it a day and needed one more to finish up. We completed that the next morning on another nice tom 20 1/2 pounds with an 8 inch beard and 1 inch spurs. We had a blast and I feel were very fortunate to do as good as we did in those cold and wet conditions. Here's pics

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.