if you were in my shoes - job opportunity

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by stealthycat, Dec 16, 2010.

move?

Poll closed Dec 17, 2010.
  1. yes - take the career chance and go to Colorado

42 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. no - ride out current job, uncertain future and stay in AR

14 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. stealthycat

stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

I was born and raised in northern AR. My Mom and Dad and my wife's live in the mtn Home area. I lived in Colorado from 1995-2000 and loved it.

I have worked for a wireless company since 2000 - and they sold me to a contracting company in Sept of 2009. My job will end .... as it has for 1/2 the guys I've worked with. Maybe it ends in 3 months, maybe 9 months ... maybe I'll get my pink slip on Monday.

Nothing is here for my wife, 11 and 9 year old kids except the job really.

I make good money right now, I am good in my mortgage with my home.

I have a job offer for a 30 month, contract to hire position in Denver. its about $35,000 more than I make right now. Its for Verizon - big company, lots of opportunity if I can hire on with them.

If this opportunity doesn't work, Denver market is huge and I can get another job I bet vs finding one here in Arkansas.

If I move, I will miss seeing my parents often, hunting and fishing with Dad. The kids won't see their grandparents as often. The wife and kids stay with her sister in Denver in the summer - the kids aren't strangers to Denver.

If I move, I'm living in Colorado, elk, bear, antelope, muley bucks, 4 hours from Kansas .... I'm making more money at least temp anyway ... and career opportunity is there.

I know I've not given all the pro's and con's ... but based on what I have given would you move your family for it ?

2. arcountryboy

arcountryboy Well-Known Member

I would move, there is nothing wrong with bettering your's and your familys life. My company almost transferred me to TX 3 years ago. I was on the verge of saying no since all my family is here, then I got to thinking, I love my family, but they are not paying my way through life, so I chose to move. Ended up not having to in the end.

3. FrogTacos

FrogTacos Well-Known Member

Just completed our 12th move - just about every single one of them 'for the job' - home is where my bed, my man, and my kids are. Someone always has family somewhere else - and misses them dearly. That's just life.

4. alexanderg23

alexanderg23 Well-Known Member

NWA
    Co kicks a$$

5. keeb

keeb Well-Known Member

My boss transferred from Texas. He has family still in Texas and was raised in South Carolina. He travels every major holiday to go see some of his family. Even though you could be miles apart, you can still keep in touch and still come to visit. You can always have your kids video chat with your parents.

I would do it for my family. Even with the cost of living difference, you would still be making quite a bit more money. It does sound like a roll of the dice staying in Arkansas.

Good luck in whatever decision you and your family make. :up:

6. jas870

jas870 Super Member<br>2012-13 Bowhunting Contest Winner

Do it. I have a question though. How will the 35g's play out with the coat of living there in co?

7. jrock

jrock Well-Known Member

Nope, wouldnt leave my parents and the rest of my family for a maybe on a job. Iv been asked to move a bunch of times in the past and its out of the question. Some things are just more important to me and Iv always managed to pay my bills workin right here in Arkansas.

8. HANDGUNNER

HANDGUNNER Well-Known Member

Colorado is awesome........the cost of living is a little higher in the Denver area, but not bad! Lots of places to explore out there, for the grown-ups and kids alike!!

I'd say go for it!!

9. stealthycat

Colorado has been hit REALLY hard with housing .... its not near the gap it use to be. I've looked into it ....

I can rent my house for probably $150-250 more than my mortgage and I'm about 45% into my house paid off so that's not a terrible issue.

Also ... 40% of my pay with this job is non txed per diem until I become a Colorado resident

SKYPE makes the world really small BTW

10. coonnutz

coonnutz Well-Known Member

Life is all about taking chances:up:

11. OughtSix

OughtSix Super Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Is this contract likely to be terminated before the 30 months? What are the stipulations?

Do you have a probation period where this job could be ended within a month? Lots of things to look into before taking a job that's temp to hire.

12. X2 :up:

13. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

It's a tough call man. I lived in TX and SW Arknasas for 6 years and was only 5-6 hours from home (NWA). I made a lot more money, but didn't like being that far from the folks. Now I'm 2 hours away and like it a lot better. All that said, if you could get the pink slip any time it would be tough to pass up a sure thing. Only issue I see is with housing and cost of living. Can you sell your house here? Would you want to buy there with only a 30 month job. Any chance that the job could be perminant? I'm a stability guy myself. I would want a sure thing. That's just me.

No real answer in that rant, was there.

14. SARAH

SARAH Well-Known Member

x2 it would have to be a for sure deal for me to pack up and move, being an only child I probably would not take it I want to be close to help out mom and dad when they get older.

15. stealthycat

nothing is guaranteed .... my job right now can end tomorrow

what they need is what I do, I'm confident in my work ethic and person to know I can do the job and excel

If I go, and lose that job, i CAN get another in Colorado.

If I don't go and lose my job here? Very hard to get a good telecom job in central Arkansas

16. carverhill

carverhill Well-Known Member

I left Arkansas back in the early 90's. I was making $3.61 an hour. There were things I wanted in life and knew I couldn't get them there. At the time and for a few years after that I thought it was the biggest mistake I ever made. Many nights I layed in bed wishing I could go home and work in the woods or a sawmill or something.

I miss Arkansas, always will too. I think if I would've stayed something would've worked out for me. I also think I would've been happy staying there too. But I have a great life where I am now and I'm not far from Arkansas and its always nice to get to go back when I can and see how things change.

I'd say talk to your wife and go with your gut. It wouldn't hurt to try. And the road always leads home if you want it to.

17. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member

I lived out west and I like it better here. All the hunting seasons are combined, you have to draw for so much, the seasons are shorter, and the hills are steep and tall. Good for someone Stealthy's age, but gettin to tall for me. Plus, I like to fish - a lot. You can fight all the other folks out there to catch a 12 inch trout four or five months out of the year. They even have leases for lakes and ponds. I have done it and it is not for me, but everyone is different. I do like to visit during September - with a bow in hand.

18. duckhunter2-2007

duckhunter2-2007 Well-Known Member

Enjoy Colorado. :thumb:

19. Quack addict

Quack addict Well-Known Member

SC - Your responsibility is to your wife and kids. I've been in your shoe's not so long ago, moved to Mississippi for my job. My personal out-look on my situation was this, I need to have a job to provide for my family and secure as much of a future as possible. I owed it to MY family, not my in-laws or my own parents. Some people have never set foot further away than a couple of miles from their parents and will never have to, therefore, they don't understand the tough decision to do whats right. Not long after my first move my dad passed away, I questioned myself to whether I had done the right thing or not. Not, being close to him in his later day's. But, God had different plans for me as hind-sight has shown me. I now have no regrets with that move and expect this one to grow my family as well. Again, this is my out-look, what you have to do is neither easy or comfortable But, it may be necessary(sp)....Good Luck

20. Doebuck

Doebuck Well-Known Member

x3:up: