Arkansas Hunting banner

If you drove through West Memphis this morning and got to your hole sans dog...

4K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Gindog 
#1 ·
...I know where it is.

I was rolling through W. Memphis at about 5:45 am and some new-ish white Chevy dually goes roaring past me. He was obviously in a hurry to get wherever he was going. I didn't catch the plate number, but I noticed it was lifted and had an exhaust pipe big enough on the back to crawl into. There was a mountain of gear in the back. It was dark, but I thought I noticed something moving on the mountain of gear. As we come under some street lights, I can see it clear as day: it was a black lab shifting around on top of the mountain of gear, trying to find a place to sit.

In one of the more horrifying moments of my life, the dog leaped or fell off the mountain while the guy was doing 70 and rolled down the median. I hit the brakes to try and go get the pup; its "owner" kept driving. I jumped out of the car and ran down the median whistling and calling. It was then I heard the thud and watched a black corpse bouncing under an 18 wheeler up near my passenger side.

If that sounds like your truck, you were in West Memphis around that time this morning, and you got to your hole without your dog on your mountain of crap, your dog's dead on I-40. I doubt you care.

#13 ·
Somebody shared a link about this dog earlier on Facebook... I went back and tried to find it (the link, not the dog),no luck!

They were driving from TN to Forest City...

Seems like it said the dog jumped out at the house....

Has to be same dog... However they were posting on efforts of finding a lost dog, don't guess they realized he didn't jump at the house...

Anybody else remember seeing this?

#14 ·
Im not a facebooker but looks like there might would be a hunting site or something in Tennessee that this could be posted. Sounds like with the type of truck it was, it was a very inmature young idiot that has no sense at all. Thats the same kind of guy that would throw his child in the back of the truck and take off just like that.

#15 ·
cutdown i posted about it on the fuge...i read this earlier over there and then got on facebook to see some guy looking for a dog he lost between fayette county and forrest city. i asked if he drove a white dually but havent gotten a response, also went ahead and copied the link to the story on his status. i did some facebook stalking and found out the guy in fact has a white chevy dually, dont know if i would own up to it either if i read this story.

#18 ·
Apparently the dog worked his way out of his crate, despite being locked in.

Here's the facebook post:

thanks to everyone who posted to help us find our baby, Brute! To our horror this morning we were informed of a post on a hunting forum, in which someone described seeing Brute jump out of my truck on the interstate in West Memphis Ark, and proceed to get hit by an 18 wheeeler. Melissa and I are truly devastated and feel as though we have lost a child! People then proceeded to post not... very nice things about us following this post, so I'd like to clarify... Brute was 6 1/2yrs old and was placed in a kennel with a thermal cover around it, he somehow pulled the door inward and chewed the zipper on the thermal cover to escape! We would never put our dog, who was like child, just in the back of the truck on the interstate without crating him! It's truly been a rough past few days and peoples ugly words when not knowing the whole story doesn't help! But thank you again to all of our friends and family who posted and helped us go looking for him! We will forever have a hole in our hearts for this sweet big baby!
I'm happy to be wrong. I've been pissed thinking someone didn't care about him. I'm glad to know that it was a mistake and that he was loved. I really wish I could have saved him. :frown:

#20 ·
Here is what the owner posted on the fuge. Truly a sad story.

Loss of our fur baby
To all whom have been commenting on this thread:

My name is Melissa Burrus, I am posting from this username of an acquaintance, due to my user request still pending...

The dog referred to in all of this, belonged to my husband, Hunter and I. The past 3 days have been some of the most difficult of our lives. Brutus was Hunter's before I came along and was his best friend and baby, he was so jealous of me receiving attention and affection from Hunter, but soon the big baby grew to be mine as well. Obviously friday morning's events have been clarified so no need to explain that, but I'd love to let ya'll know exactly the kind of "owners" we were!!!! Brute was spoiled rotten, a hunting/working dog, yes! But our first child as well! He had a bed in every room of our house, though his favorite was in the bed with us and our other dog, Drake(a Yorkie rescue). Drake and him were the best of friends, so much so that yesterday we had to go pick Drake up out of Brute's pen because he just stayed in it barking wondering where his partner in crime was! We have a 3 month old little boy who Brute constantly kept watch over, getting antsy at every slight whimper he makes.

Friday morning my husband returned home by 8:30 from hunting, I instantly knew something was wrong, I asked why he was home so early and he could barely even utter the words "he's gone", once I realized it was Brute he was referring to I immediately thought a hunting accident had taken place(i.e. drowning or accidentally shot) never did I dream that he would say "when I got to the boat ramp his thermal covered was chewed and the crate door pulled inward", especially since in 6 1/2yrs he'd yet to due anything of the sorts. I instantly got up, got dressed, we took our little one to my parents and headed back toward Arkansas where he had already spent the majority of the morning searching, and continued to till dark, when needing to head to a wedding! The past 2 days of the unknown has truly drainined us, emotionally and physically! So with this all being said, I'd like to thank gindog for posting on here and giving us some sort of closure so that we at least know he's not alone out there roaming, but I feel as though not knowing the whole story maybe next time you could use a little tact!! Especially before saying "doubt you care", because we more than care!! After being forwarded your post and reading it this morning I instantly was sobbing and vomiting knowing that this is how my big baby's life ended! All of ya'll's comments were extremely hurtful to my husband and I, Brute lived a spoiled life for a dog, because he was more than just that, he was our "fur child"! Brute was a rare duck dog, carrying an HRCH title; he was a competitor in the trials and the bottoms, yet the biggest spoiled baby at home. We will forever have a hole in our hearts and lives since lossing our best buddy, hunting partner, guard dog, partner in crime, and 4 legged baby sitter!

In closing I would like to ask gindog if you know the exact location of this tragic incident, we would like to know so that we may go and possibly collect what's remaining of our baby and bury him peacefully at the boat ramp of our duck hole. Because in our three trips this weekend there and back looking we never saw anything! Thank you for reading and I hope I have changed yall's previous opinions. (Special thank you to Spence, for your kind words of my sweet husband who is truly mourning!)

#21 ·
I suspect the administrators in the 'Fuge know not to open Pandora's box and let me post, so I can't post this there. If someone would please copy and paste for me, I'd be much obliged.

Melissa,

I'm the one who saw Brutus. I owe you and your husband an apology for being so callous. It's hypocritical of me because I was so angry because I assumed Brutus had a careless owner. In my anger, I was careless with my words. I hurt both of you by being so and I owe you an apology and hope you'll forgive me. I was angry. I love animals and I especially love dogs. I know how devoted and loving labs can be and seeing something like that happen to one really got to me. It still does. I've been thinking about Brutus frequently since that morning. It bothered me a lot then and it's still bothering me a lot now.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. I'm happy to know that he was loved. I'm heartbroken for you both. If you really would like to know the spot, I can do my best to find it. Again, you have my sincerest apologies and condolences for the loss of your family member.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.