If numbers are really that bad state wide why not close season for a year or two.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by AR Coon Hunter, Dec 28, 2010.

1. AR Coon Hunter

AR Coon Hunter Super Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest Wi

It would suck and I would hate it when Spring came around, but it would give a good jump start to the population. Then they could come back with a rule like we'll have this year.

Sometimes we got to sacrafice to grow right:shrug:

2. coonnutz

coonnutz Well-Known Member

They kind of did didn't they? by not having a fall turkey season?

3. austincrutchfield

austincrutchfield Well-Known Member

but if they closed spring turkey season, there would be to many people griping and :censored: because they just wanted to hear one bird and walk in on 12 people to try and shoot it:smack:

4. sleepy

sleepy Well-Known Member

Because the numbers are not that bad for people who go seek out turkeys.

5. austincrutchfield

but that 5% of hunters that actually get out and find turkeys, are not the ones that gripe about the populations:whistle:

6. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    Closing the spring season for a year would result in more gobblers the next year, or whenever they opened it back up, but that's probably about it.

What we need is more turkeys, not just more gobblers. Good hatches are the only thing that's going to fix that.

7. NWA Bowhntr

NWA Bowhntr Well-Known Member

That might be true for your part of the state, but I can tell you that up here in NWA the population is in BAD shape! I have several farms that I hunt on that have produced birds for me in the past that don't have any birds living on them right now. Just like one of the farmers told me last winter when I was checking to make sure I could still hunt on his property for the upcoming spring season, "you are more than welcome to come hunt, but there aren't any birds on the place, haven't been in over a year."

I put plenty of shoe leather on the ground, and have had very few sightings in the last year up here.

8. NWA Bowhntr

NWA Bowhntr Well-Known Member

GREAT POST!!! We need more turkeys, not just gobblers!!

9. Hobbshunter

NWA
    I think a lot of folks (possibly including many at the AGFC) dont have any idea just how bad it is up here.

10. Because, like the fall season, we would never get the spring season back.

How detrimental are hunters to animal populations anyways?

Why not just close all hunting seasons. Keeps animals from dying. :rolleyes:

11. Earnhardt fan #1

Earnhardt fan #1 Premium Member<br>2012 Turkey Hunting Contest Winn

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You mean these creatures????

12. Hobbshunter

NWA
    Need a turkey hunting buddy?

13. austincrutchfield

I can help you with that problem:up:

14. sleepy

sleepy Well-Known Member

There is not many turkeys around were I live. They are 100 miles one way from the house. Last year I drove 1150 miles back and forth to hunt.

15. Hooked Spurs

Hooked Spurs Well-Known Member

Your right, it all centers on the hatch in my opinion. We are on the right track with shorter, conservatively structured seasons. Coincide that with a couple good hatches and we are back in business.

As far as the initial post, I think numbers are down in a lot of areas, but flourishing in others. Don't think a closure is necessary. If we were in dire circumstances I would support it.

16. Hooked Spurs

Hooked Spurs Well-Known Member

I do feel for you guys because I do know things are not good up that way.

17. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

Yep, that's pretty much the way I see it. :up:

18. belliott

belliott Well-Known Member

First let me say I would not be opposed to the closure of the spring season, if it would make a diffrence.
    The spring season only jakes and toms are harvested. The problem is low hen numbers.
    During the Kansas pheasant season every year, roughly 80% of the roosters are harvested, yet they have good numbers.

It's all about the hens and the hatch.

If you want better turkey numbers kill every predator you see, improve the habitat by gearing your foodplots towards turkeys in the spring and pray for a mild and dry spring.

19. Tink

Tink Platinum Member<br>2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest Te

I hope one day are turkey population will get better up here. I hate buying out of state tags.

20. Ozark hunter

Ozark hunter Well-Known Member

i have seen a lot of turkeys in the woods this fall... can't wait for spring!