If I want to Antelope hunt...

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by ArkGirl, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Saltydog

Saltydog Well-Known Member

Ash Flat
    Broadus, MT was a wonderful little town. The Powder River runs thru there. We hit there just about Halloween time. Sleepy and quiet when we arrived... Jumping when the local bar got started! They were having a Halloween party that evening and folks from fifty miles around came to town... lots of folks in costume... it was a blast.

JB Weld and Hogbreath like this.
  2. Hogbreath

Hogbreath Well-Known Member

I guess every town, even the one horse, wide spots in the road, up there has a bar, and about dark, they all fall in there. And...I was always treated very well by those folks, really enjoyed my time up there.

3. Chasegal88

Chasegal88 Well-Known Member

NWA
    Mule deer Hunted the powder river 2 years ago around broadus. We didn’t have a pronghorn tag but wished we did because we couldn’t get away from them, first evening we had a group of young bucks feed within 40 yards of us. This was September and the bucks were starting to heard you does. Locals said the population was low but in my arkansas mind they were abundant. I do know that between the state line and west to Broadus there was prong horn everywhere. I thing a tag if you get drawn is just a few hundred dollars.

brushcreek likes this.
  4. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

Every time I have driven in Wyoming. I could have shot one off the interstate with a 22 Mag. They are standing around everywhere in the eastern part. I never saw near as many in the other western states.
    My dad used to hunt out west every year. The elk was the best. Mule deer is below AR whitetails . Pronghorns were below that for table fare.
    The meat was very dark and tougher than deer or elk. We ate it because we had it. I didn't love it.

5. Saltydog

Ash Flat
    Funny... The locals I met out there didn't want no parts of eating them. In fact, the one ranch we paid a day fee "trespass", had a pile of about a dozen carcasses they were holding to a couple Indian women to come pick up.
    I've eaten a couple of them. I thought they were excellent. Both were killed outright, from a distance, so that might have made the difference. They never had a chance to have their endorphins kick in.

Hobbshunter likes this.
  6. Hivernan

Hivernan Well-Known Member

Also another factor is ranchers with a freezer full of beef typically don’t stoop to eating game meats.

7. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    A lot of the folks you encounter up there dont seem to have the hot weather meat care experience that your average Arkie has. I think that's where antelope meat gets its bad rap.
    Our camp neighbor from New Jersey showed up at dark. He'd shot a buck in the morning and threw it in the back of his truck and then hunted all day long for his doe tag. It STUNK.

brushcreek likes this.
  8. ray porter

ray porter Well-Known Member

east ar
    you may be on to something there.

i have sure noticed how so many people have an aversion to iceing down their kill.

9. dmac1175

dmac1175 Well-Known Member

I have killed 5 pronghorn. The longest shot was 150 yards. Not saying you wouldnt need to be prepared for farther but stalking in close is definitely possible.
    Pronghorn is delicious in my opinion. I usually have with me game bags, scapel knives and plenty of blades, a hand saw for cutting off skull cap so I don't have to haul out the skull. I go gutless method. I debone in the field. Cape hide and cap skull for taxidermy purposes ( I am a taxidermist). I normally get the skull cap, cape, and deboned meat packed out in one trip. Meat goes right into the mini deep freeze I haul with me and have plugged in at motel.
    When I get home I put some meat sandwhiched between ice in an ice chest with drain open on an incline to let melted ice drain. Keeping fresh ice on meat I do this for 3 or 4 days then cut it up like I want or grind it. Wrap in suran wrap then white butcher paper before going in freezer.
    DELICIOUS!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    JB Weld, bowhunter23, Alpha and 4 others like this.
  10. Chasegal88

Chasegal88 Well-Known Member

NWA
    Funny the locals i talked to didn’t seem to care about Mule deer. They like their white tails.

Remington likes this.
  11. Saltydog

Ash Flat
    The last years that I was going out there they had just been thru a devastating blue tongue outbreak... Whitetail were in a bad way, nobody was shooting them.

12. Thenarwhal

Thenarwhal Well-Known Member

I don't know how many antelope I've killed, somewhere between 50 and 100. I've eaten from all those and many others killed by my hunting partners. With only a few exceptions -- less than five total -- the meat was excellent. Darker and sweeter than deer, lean enough so it's not greasy, but enough natural fat that it's not dry if properly cooked. It wants to be cooked hot, moist and fast. Don't go past medium. There is often a light sagey flavor. It's the taste of pronghorn. It's not offputting like a rutting deer or a really gamey boar hog. I've had many more mule deer that tasted bad than antelope. I'm telling you, early season antelope hunting is the most fun you can have with a gun, and the meat is well worth the effort. As for shooting distance, it's whatever you want it to be. I've shot them at less than 20 yards to more than 400. The terrain will almost always allow for a stalk. If it doesn't, there are more antelope over the next hill. Unless you're hunting a specific animal, don't sweat the shot; you can always find one closer. Be comfortable shooting to 200 yards and you'll have no problems.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Buckrub, JB Weld, QuailRidge and 2 others like this.

13. Rifles were invented so we could hunt antelope with them. It's so much fun.

Hobbshunter and Saltydog like this.
  14. Thenarwhal

Thenarwhal Well-Known Member

Actually, more than 90 percent of mine were killed with handguns, but the principle holds. I absolutely love antelope hunting.

brushcreek likes this.
  15. Nomosendero

Nomosendero Well-Known Member

I made 7 trips to WY. & always took good Speedgoats. We hunted about 40 miles Southwest of Gillette. We would take one Buck each and would buy some Doe tags. I guess in total I took about 15. We also harvested some Mule Deer but that area is not the best for good Mule Deer.

ArkGirl likes this.
  16. trapsetter1

trapsetter1 Well-Known Member

Ozark, AR
    the key to good tasting speed goat is get them cooled down quick.

ArkGirl likes this.
  17. ArkGirl

ArkGirl Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I think that is true of any meat animal. It's just the nature of things. Working in research we need to get tissues from test animals harvested and processed as quickly as possible. The moment an animal dies, decomposition starts. I am almost fanatical about getting the meat off and cooling quickly.
    My elk hunt here in Arkansas was as much strategy about how to get that huge animal quickly apart and on ice as it was about the hunt itself. The meat is my main goal...I love to cook wild game.

JB Weld, bowhunter23 and brushcreek like this.
  18. Nomosendero

Nomosendero Well-Known Member

You will find that if the Antelope have good grasses as opposed to too much Sage makes a BIG difference.

19. ouachitamac

ouachitamac Well-Known Member

I know of a large group that goes to Saratoga wy and gets leftover tags on the cheap, they bring back a dozen or more animals when they go. good meat, I was able to try it at a cookout once with them. they said they ride around till they see some on blm and try to sneak in and shoot. rifle hunters.

20. artomcaller

artomcaller Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner

Here are a few photos from last year's hunt in Wyoming. My brother and I both drew two doe tags each. Our first time to hunt the speed goats! The farthest shot was my first doe at 220yds. It was an awesome trip. We hunted on a walk-in area and got down in a bottom area with a ton of antelope. We could have tagged out the first day but decided to make it a two day hunt. Everyone else in the campground tagged out the first day and left. You are gonna love it! I really didn't care for the taste of antelope but the hunting was awesome. IMG_20190925_092850.jpeg IMG_20190926_105632.jpeg IMG_20190926_122920.jpeg IMG_6948.jpeg IMG_0093.jpeg IMG_20190925_085803.jpeg

brushcreek and JB Weld like this.