Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I know their concentrating on the one area but what about the rest of the state? are they going to mandate all deer taken in the core area there be tested for years to come, set up check stations again ( as it should be in my opinion )

There's stillan awful lot of questions that haven't been asked or that haven't been asnwered at the moment

·
Grand Member<br> 2006 Spring Turkey Team Contest W
3,298 Posts
They have been testing deer for several years. We participated in a herd wellness check and they tested for CWD as well as looking at kidney fat and other things.

·
Registered
30,685 Posts
That's poppycock.

Elk couldn't have possibly brought in CWD. They've been here for many years, and the disease didn't show up. Even HIV shows up in a maximum of 13 years. This stuff doesn't take that long.

It got here some other way.

But I have no idea why that matters. It got here, it's here........that's the facts we have to deal with. If we need to blame someone, let's do it. Loudly. But when we're done, we'll have the exact same task ahead of us as we do even if we never find out the incoming culprit.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think its logical to follow what Buckrub is saying - if CWD was related to the elk coming in and elk are herd animals .... we'd have seen CWD elk die off before now.

It either has been here for a long time and the deaths in deer just wasn't ever noticed or tested etc or its very new and is just now starting to impact

I believe its been here for a long time, its in almost every state by now either naturally traveling or through the underground deer and elk farming scene.

Nobody knows how many deer have been bought and sold, and brought into Arkansas to pen raise and/or bolster penned/fenced animals. Legal or not, I believe it happens and likely the source of travel for CWD or at least as likely as traveling through the wild deer herds from CO to KS from NWA down to Ponca area.

Its also possible a CWD elk was brought in - died soon and those prion's have laid there, dormant and such until recently when an elk or deer contracted it.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I confess. I did it. One year in the 80s I killed a mule deer buck in a western state on the last evening of the season. It was cold and I was leaving. I loaded him up and brought him back to Arkansas, where I chopped him up and put him in the freezer. My dogs and the local buzzards chewed on the skull and spine. The buzzards were flying north -- in the direction of the Buffalo River -- last I saw. Coincidence that CWD has now appeared in that area? My conscience tells me no. I feel so guilty.

And do we really have five CWD threads going?

·
Banned
13,931 Posts
There use to be a guy here in the town I live that had deer in a pen. 15 of them, some were from IL, MO, KY and TX and a few local caught deer. Before he died he just opened the gate and let em go

·
Banned
13,931 Posts
I confess. I did it. One year in the 80s I killed a mule deer buck in a western state on the last evening of the season. It was cold and I was leaving. I loaded him up and brought him back to Arkansas, where I chopped him up and put him in the freezer. My dogs and the local buzzards chewed on the skull and spine. The buzzards were flying north -- in the direction of the Buffalo River -- last I saw. Coincidence that CWD has now appeared in that area? My conscience tells me no. I feel so guilty.

And do we really have five CWD threads going?
There is actually 8 CWD threads!!

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it is suspicious that CWD deer is being found very close to Ponca/Jasper areas where elk are - too coincidental?

the more I think about it, the more sense it is that it came with the elk - but the elk that were cwd died and those prion's remained ..... and just recently began spreading

maybe the AG&F killed the CWD infected elk, buried them (cover up) .... and all the rains uncovered the bones and allowed the local deer/elk to get infected ?

1 - 20 of 301 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.