Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bucks will hit the ground this weekend in a "doe only" rifle season. The orange invasion begins. If I figured right I think there is only 1 or 2 weekends between now and Christmas when u cannot hunt w a gun of some kind in some zones. And did I read the book right that a person can kill 2 does w a rifle or ml. Everyone be careful out there and wear your orange

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I love how someone always assumes the rifle hunters are poachers that will kill bucks out of season
Not all rifle hunters but some are , same as some bow hunters. But wait the key word here is "hunters" the true " hunters" be that rifle or bow will not break the "laws" either way. Guaranteed some ignorant jackasses will shoot bucks with a rifle this weekend.

·
Member<br>The Member Formerly Known as Passthrough
7,658 Posts
Not all rifle hunters but some are , same as some bow hunters. But wait the key word here is "hunters" the true " hunters" be that rifle or bow will not break the "laws" either way. Guaranteed some ignorant jackasses will shoot bucks with a rifle this weekend.
Exactly- Blaming the early doe rifle season for someone poaching a buck is no different then blaming the gun when a person shoots someone.

·
Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
836 Posts
I think it does invite trouble. I don't think many will kill bucks with a gun, but some will. Think about a nubbin or yearling buck those are hard to distinguish right now because some are still traveling with does. I just don't see the need really, bow hunters do a good enough job killing does, and when gun season opens there is usually a high number of does killed. Whats the benefit here we have a long rifle season and does aren't exactly elusive and I honestly like to take them when its a bit cooler. However, if some folks enjoy the early firing of the rifle on a cow doe to fill the freezer I can see the appeal.

·
Member<br>The Member Formerly Known as Passthrough
7,658 Posts
I think it does invite trouble. I don't think many will kill bucks with a gun, but some will. Think about a nubbin or yearling buck those are hard to distinguish right now because some are still traveling with does. I just don't see the need really, bow hunters do a good enough job killing does, and when gun season opens there is usually a high number of does killed. Whats the benefit here we have a long rifle season and does aren't exactly elusive and I honestly like to take them when its a bit cooler. However, if some folks enjoy the early firing of the rifle on a cow doe to fill the freezer I can see the appeal.
The early doe season is a crucial part of the AGFC plan to eradicate deer from the state. Don't be bringing logical reasoning into their plan, it wont fit. Everyone knows a rifle hunter can't fill their doe tags during the 5 week regular season, three weekend ML season and 3 day bonus Christmas season.

·
Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
836 Posts
The early doe season is a crucial part of the AGFC plan to eradicate deer from the state. Don't be bringing logical reasoning into their plan, it wont fit. Everyone knows a rifle hunter can't fill their doe tags during the 5 week regular season, three weekend ML season and 3 day bonus Christmas season.
They should just call it what it is. Doe Weekend Slaughter sponsored by XYZ Automobile Insurance, AGFC Platinum Contributor, kill them all, so we don't have to fix your car in November..... I'm just playing but there maybe some truth to that.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
The last 2 years for this hunt, my biggest bucks on camera walked right in front of me. The first year I had a rifle and had to just watch. Last year, I brought my bow and got a shot at my number 1 buck. I hit a stick and missed cleanly, but at least I had the opportunity to shoot!

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
The slaughter begins! I am not going out. I normally take 1 doe but like it to be cold enough to hang overnite. Some bbs and small spikes will be shot guaranteed. Brown its down dont care about that,,its an accident to them. These guys I know have been getting between 6-10 doe and fawn pics during daytime at their stations so they will sucessfully "hunt" 2 apiece first day I'd imagine. Then 2 more during ML and 2-3 more in MG season. They are excellent "hunters" I guess. Far better than I am bc I only sucessfully hunt 1-2 per year.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.