Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Select Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winne
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That I owned my own land so that I did not have to deal with timber companies going up and up...up...up...up on thier leases.

We are in Clark county and Timberstar (bought I P's land) own's the land. We were paying $4.25 per acre the last two years. and it was $4.05 the two years before that.

Got the contract today in the mail and THEY WENT UP TO $5.15 PER ACRE!!! :smack: I understand that things go up, but that is a huge jump and we can only expect it to go up again in the near future.

Wondering how many others were with Timberstar ? and your thoughts ? I think they are going to keep pushing till they have leases go belly up and then they know where the limit is.

Take care..Gentry

·
Registered
832 Posts
Leases

About 5 years ago I attended a QDMA convention in Lafayette LA. The cheapest lease offered by a major timber company was $12+ per acre. They had a three ring binder full of them and appeared not to care whether you leased or not. There was a lot of interest in the leases as there was always several people looking.
The cost will keep going up. As long as hunters buy atvs, corn, food plots, rvs, etc. The landowners want their share for without them the other industries suffer.
Demand for big racks has also created a desirability market. It can be seen on this board several times a month.
I've often considered coop ownership or group purchase etc. but the beginnings price a lot of people out. Enjoy the leases while you still have them. Later how about hunting rights similar to mineral rights where large management companies take over the process and buy large tract rights.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Be Thankful that we are not having to "bid" on our leases here YET.

Some of the leases in surrounding states are being "bid" at sealed bid right now.

If you had to propose a "Sealed Bid" to keep your lease what would you bid (think about that scenario).

Lease holders that have been practicing a good QDMA for years are very appealing to bidders. The members have done all the work and now they are having to "bid" to keep them.

Oh and by the way if you want to even have a chance to keep your lease better START bidding at bout $13 / acre.

Also some land owners are taking sealed bids (to establish market value) then at least giving the current lease holder the option of matching to keep the lease.

IMO, it will get much worse than 5 or 6 bucks acre here too!

This is one of those times that it is GOOD for AR to be behind.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Recieved the same letter. I wasnt happy.

I don't have that much from them thank goodness!!!!!!!!!

The tracts I do have I could just drop and they would stay unleased.

They are land locked. But if you leave them landlocked you can't put any stands on them cause they are not leased. The timber companys have access and can some see your stand on unleased land.
I guess we will keep paying it:frown:

I may look at the option to take the three year lease they offered.....that way it is locked for three years.

·
Select Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winne
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes! We will keep paying.......but at $750 a member, some will struggle in our lease. I am going to pay more and gain an extra stand location to help some of the others out.

Got to pay to play.............Gentry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts