Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hunting with my xbow for awhile and am getting tired of being busted moving it and it being so heavy, loud and clunky. I would like to get a used bow 50-60 or maybe less. Sense breaking my back I can only pull 60lbs and only about 2-3 times, then my back hurts for about a week. I seem to be able to pull back 55lbs ok though. I would like something decent, but not wanting to spend an arm and a leg. I've been looking at some youth bows and the got an offer to buy a PSE nova for $65.

Any one got any suggestions or offers.

Anyone know anything about "Whisper creek" bows?

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
If they are busting you moving a crossbow, how is getting a compound going to help? You will have to move more to draw the bow.

If you can only shoot three times and then your back hurts for a week, how are you going to be able to practice enough to be able to make a good shot on a deer?

Not trying to talk you out of it, or be a smart alec, just wondering if you have really thought this through, or if maybe I just misunderstood your post.

$65 for a bow that works? Can't get hurt much at that price so long as you like it and it fits ya.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I've been hunting with my xbow for awhile and am getting tired of being busted moving it and it being so heavy, loud and clunky.
Any one got any suggestions or offers.
Clunky and Loud I am guessing you mean if it hits your stand or something when you raise it. If thats the case then buy some tubing and some camo tape and make your stand quiet, that would be a lot cheaper than buy a new bow. Like said before a compound is not going to minimize movement any compared to a crossbow.

·
Super Member<br>'08 Smackdown Team Winner
2,655 Posts
A 40 to 45 pound recurve or longbow, properly tuned with the correct arrow and broad-head will do all you need it to do and also be deathly quiet. Movement can be keep to a minimum if you're on your game.

·
Registered
11,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If they are busting you moving a crossbow, how is getting a compound going to help? You will have to move more to draw the bow.
The thing is old and rattles when you move it. I've also been told that deer see the horizontal movement of the limbs better than they can the vertical limbs of a compound or longbow.

If you can only shoot three times and then your back hurts for a week, how are you going to be able to practice enough to be able to make a good shot on a deer?
60lbs hurt 55 didn't seem to at all and 50 was pretty easy. I think I could go somewhere between 50 and 55 pretty easily.

Not trying to talk you out of it, or be a smart alec, just wondering if you have really thought this through, or if maybe I just misunderstood your post.

$65 for a bow that works? Can't get hurt much at that price so long as you like it and it fits ya.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Now I undestand. If you decide to check out the new ones, take a look at the Mission bows. I just got one for my daughter, and it is pretty sweet for the money. Archery Talk classifieds are also a great place to shop for a used bow.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Hey John. I shattered a vertebrae, in a car wreck several years ago. I had several old bows that I had discarded for various reasons. I ended up taking a leap of faith, I bought a matthews. It was expensive for me, but I've had it since 2000. I pull 63 lbs with it, and it is quite easy. I bought a new bear bow for my son. Going to have ot set it waaay down. It is tough for me to pull it bac at 70, I'm hoping it will be much easier around 60, if not, he's going to have to work out. Love my matthews.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
John, run up the Hwy to Mt. George Archery, close to Dardanelle and see what he has in the way of used bows. Guys trade in their old models every year and upgrade, so you may be able to find a deal up there on a great bow. If you're not sure where it is, call me or ask Coach Campbell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
yes I love my Mathews too. You can get the Mission line of mathews cheaper and they are as good as Mathews=and they are very quite and can get in low poundage---good idea from Juice-guys are always trading in bows etc. Especially with the Mathews Monster craze starting you may be able to find a good used Mathews set up cheap and just order limbs for your draw weight--good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
What ever you do John don't get the PSE Nova. That is an old outdated bow that is way overpriced for how old it is. I bought one for my dad about two years ago and only paid $20 bucks for it b/c it was outdated then. I would suggest looking at a used Fred Bear Element. These bows are about $300 brand new so you should be able to find one around $150 used. It is a small light weight bow. Its what I shoot and have taken deer, fish (bowfishing), rabbits, squirrls, birds, and coons with it. Its never let me down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm wanting to get rid of a Reflex Buckskin 05 Model it's a 50-60 pound bow. I'm going to get rid of it with the sights, stabilizer, arrows, broadheads, fieldtips, release, and quiver for $400. If your interested let me know. I'm upgrading to a mathews DXT.

·
Registered
364 Posts
One thing, crossbows aren't all equal if your using an old one. I had an old PSE foxfire that I had used since around 1984. It was 125 lb and I missed more deer with that thing than I ever hit. Then around 2000 I bought a newer one, a horton Yukon that was 150lb and killed more with it than I ever missed. The difference i think was that the PSE Foxfire is NOISY and the deer jumped the string more times than you hit one and the Yukon was much quieter. You can really hear the cables pop on that old foxfire. So if your crossbow is a real old one, the newer technology really quieted them down alot.
If you go to a compound, I've seen they have a thing called a draw-loc (?)that is supposed to be able to keep people hunting with Archery who have disabilities and want to use a compound. Others could probably tell you more about those.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.