Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
22,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a big smallmouth.

Dale Hollow? Kentucky Lake? The river system that has Wilson Lake and Pickwick? Anyone have a sleeper lake ?

I know driving 10-12 hours to Great Lakes is the answer - but lets say within 4-5 hours of Little Rock where would ya'll go ?

Late February trip

·
Registered
13,645 Posts
I've fished Dale Hollow a couple dozen times or so. Caught several over 5. 3 or 4 over 6 and one pushing 7.

When my wife was in her Orthodontic residency in Buffalo, I made a trip up there every month. I fished Lake Erie about 10 times. I caught more 5-6 pound smallmouth than I can even count.

I'm not sure where you can go within 4 or 5 hours to have that good of a chance to catch a 6lber.

·
Premium Member
24,736 Posts
I am Going to show you a pic of a 4 lb 2 oz..
They are their..All I did for about 5 years..Look for 5 & 6 lb Smallmouth..
Didn't keep many,Catch and Release....Folks fishing for them ain't telling,folks keep em..They ain't getting to 5 lb..Have caught several out of Greers not telling how and where..You will kill em..
Caught a 5 lb 2 oz on Kentucky Lake,Bream fishing..Went to the Border waters of Canada caught lots of 4 lb 12 oz..on a fly rod..Popping bug and homemade Bream killer..couldn't bust the 5 lb mark...
I grew up on those lake and never saw anyone with a smallmouth over 4 pounds ... rumors yes, but I never saw one

·
Premium Member
24,736 Posts
Takes a Big Smallmouth to weigh 5 & 6 lb
They get Round like a Football..
4 lb 4 oz er..Died or I wouldn't have mounted her..A Friend Had a Tackle Shop wanted her for A Display..When he Retired he gave me the mount..One of my Popping Bugs..
20200120_005635.jpeg

·
Premium Member
24,736 Posts
Sorry Stealth..Was not referring to just you..Ran into a lot of Wall Hangers in my Quest for a 5-6 Lb Smallmouth..
Most wanted to kill and put on the Wall.
The 4-4 in the pic..Had a 4-12 I released on the next cast..Did not re Tie After the Release thought it was over..Not..Got a Huge 5-5 or 6 at least a pound heavier..That broke my line..Was sick..Went home..Frustrated..I lived and Breathed Smallmouth...
Border water,all my home lakes and Rivers,Kentucky, Tennessee, Oklahoma "Texmoa " has some huge Smallmouth but need a Big,Big boat..,The Spring River in Arkansas and Missouri has some hugh Smallmouth..But need a Jet and lots of Gas...
The Border Waters Minnesota/Canada..
Canoe only waters has the most..4.5 lb Smallmouth The Rivers that flow into Bull Shoals,Norfork, Has Monster Smallmouth but very hard to get to..
If its easy..Not Going to be Many Big Smallmouth..
Ran into A Walleye Guide on the Border waters,"Zupps Outfitters" That caught Big Smallmouth while fishing for Walleye..
To catch Monster Walleye you have to have live bait..Being The Bassmaster classic Qualifer I was..Live bait was a Sin in my eyes..
Learning curve....This Walleye Guide introduced me to Jumbo Leaches..Only place to get them is canada...JUMBO LEACHES...I said to him they won't work on our waters..I WAS WRONG..They came to Arkansas and Duck hunted and Brought their Jumbo Leaches and Fished..
THE RIGHT BAITS ..BULL,NORFORK, WHITE RIVER LAKES,OKLAHOMA HAS SOME BIG SMALLMOUTH...CANADAIAN JUMBO LEACHES.....To Catch a 5-6 Lb Smallmouth...We caught a lot of 4 pounders out of Norfork...No other boats..

1 - 20 of 82 Posts