Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,564 Posts
It is a composit material that was invented I believe in the early fifties...they made iron handles out of it, that I know of, because it wouldn't melt under high temps...but it wasn't limited to that, and was used in electronics, automotive, even some military usage. I'm not sure of my spelling though!:wink:

·
56,564 Posts
Bakelite/ˈbеɪkɨlaɪt/) is a material based on the thermosetting phenol formaldehyde resin, polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride developed in 1907–1909 by Belgian-American Dr. Leo Baekeland. Formed by the reaction under heat and pressure of phenol (a toxic, colourless crystalline solid) and formaldehyde (a simple organic compound), generally with a wood flour filler, it was the first plastic made from synthetic components. It was used for its electrically nonconductive and heat-resistant properties in radio and telephone casings and electrical insulators, and was also used in such diverse products as kitchenware, jewellery, pipe stems, and children's toys. In 1993 Bakelite was designated an ACS National Historical Chemical Landmark in recognition of its significance as the world's first synthetic plastic.[1]I was wrong about when it was produced.....:smack:

·
56,564 Posts
Some usages: Although not extensively used as an industrial manufacturing material anymore, in the past Bakelite was used in a myriad of applications, such as saxophone mouthpieces, cameras, solid-body electric guitars, rotary-dial telephones, early machine guns, and appliance casings. It was at one point considered for the manufacture of coins, due to a shortage of traditional manufacturing material.[citation needed][where?]`

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.