Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, it was fun, I didn't win, but I did manage to shoot a 250 of 250 possible but my X count didn't live up to my user name, two others beat me. So, I have been polishing the bore since about 4;00AM this morning. The predawn drive, about 120 miles didn't help and the benches were low, very low, I felt like I was seated in a corvette, my legs almost 90 degrees from my upper torso. I am somewhat amazed that I shot as well as I did.
I met some really nice people, shooter's, the best kind of people. Some made my rifles look like hardscrabble misfits. They had some awesome rests, one I'd guess to be in the $1500.00 range, perched on top was a stainless single shot Voodoo in a silver benchrest stock, that thing would shoot. In all, it was a very tiring day but lots of fun.
On the way back I visited a gunshop on Military road in Benton, very nice and knowledge owner, he had lots of fine rifles, a Winchester 52 D and a 40X Remington, a few Anschutz rifles, I looked at some of his work, he's a skilled craftsman, it would be worth a visit if your in the area.

·
Premium Member
33,546 Posts
Hey, it was fun, I didn't win, but I did manage to shoot a 250 of 250 possible but my X count didn't live up to my user name, two others beat me. So, I have been polishing the bore since about 4;00AM this morning. The predawn drive, about 120 miles didn't help and the benches were low, very low, I felt like I was seated in a corvette, my legs almost 90 degrees from my upper torso. I am somewhat amazed that I shot as well as I did.
I met some really nice people, shooter's, the best kind of people. Some made my rifles look like hardscrabble misfits. They had some awesome rests, one I'd guess to be in the $1500.00 range, perched on top was a stainless single shot Voodoo in a silver benchrest stock, that thing would shoot. In all, it was a very tiring day but lots of fun.
On the way back I visited a gunshop on Military road in Benton, very nice and knowledge owner, he had lots of fine rifles, a Winchester 52 D and a 40X Remington, a few Anschutz rifles, I looked at some of his work, he's a skilled craftsman, it would be worth a visit if your in the area.
Did you beat You?

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
Those of you who have never shot Rimfire bench rest, 250/250 is outstanding. You have to be good and have a dang good rifle, scope, rest and ammo. If it was outdoors, you have to know how to read wind flags. Everyone of y'all big rifle shooters ought to try it once. Be prepared to be humbled.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Those of you who have never shot Rimfire bench rest, 250/250 is outstanding. You have to be good and have a dang good rifle, scope, rest and ammo. If it was outdoors, you have to know how to read wind flags. Everyone of y'all big rifle shooters ought to try it once. Be prepared to be humbled.
Pass...
Can’t batter and fry those targets!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Ouachita sportsmen's club has 2 registered centerfire group matches this year. being with shooters and just talking shooting is as much of the shoot as competition. if you are new you will see a ton of new gear and learn a lot about the wind [ which most shooters dont understand----reading the wind is very important.]

edit
there are many different shooting competitions in existence. you can shoot group, score in short range centerfire. score rimfire. and long range group and score.

you really need to attend some to find out what pops yer cork.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
btech29
I know nothing about this site, replying to your conversation is one of those things. I have shot all my life but formal benchrest is new to me also. We, The Arkansas River Gun Club Inc. are trying to put together a rimfire informal match but details are not available yet. We were thinking one weekday maybe twice a month, but details will have to be worked out. This may or may not become a reality.
I can without reservation tell you that its a blast and as you're aware, shooters are by nature very helpful people. We are located near Dardanelle. I described my rifle, scope and set up in a reply on this thread.
I hope this answered some of your questions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.