I picked up a Remington Speedmaster, and I love it, but...

Discussion in 'Rimfire' started by bernie, Dec 22, 2010.

1. bernie

bernie Well-Known Member

it will not operate properly. It will extract the empty and eject it, but it will not cock the rifle for the next shot. If you manually cock it, even really fast, it will cock the hammer. Is there a gunsmith in the eastern AR area that could fix this? I really do not know any smiths, and I know that this is a stretch, but it would be nice to have it fixed before season is out. I travel alot for work in the Jonesboro, Wynne, Little Rock, Monticello, and Pine Bluff areas, so I am not limited to one area geographically to get it fixed. I asked on a national forum, but I do not want to have to ship the rifle as that will add significant cost to the repair.

Thanks.

2. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

Drop two pins. Drop the trigger assembly and clean it. Easy. It will fix it. When you have the trigger assembly out look in the receiver for anything that would limit the bolt's travel. Make sure the bolt can travel freely to almost the rubber bumper to the rear of the receiver. Check tension of spring as you move bolt. Listen as move for crunching. Somebody might have placed the wrong spring in the rifle.

Easier to clean receiver with trigger assembly out. You'll notice there is a snap-in piece of a thin metal filler between trigger assembly and front of receiver. It can be removed to ease cleaning. It just snaps back in. When you re-install trigger assembly push front in first at angle then seat rear...replace pins.

3. snydedawg

snydedawg Well-Known Member

Take DirtDart's advice. I just did this two weeks ago to a bro's old Speedmaster and it's been running fine ever since.

Funny story sorta.. his Dad had the gun forever ago... it ain't been shot in over twenty years 'cause "it's broke"..... less than five minutes with some CLP and a toothbrush and it runs like new!!!

4. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

Dirtdart knows....I know.....I have one that I won in the very early 80s. Never been to a gunsmith. Just take out the trigger group....it won't blow up on ya I promise! If it does...I'll give $100 for it!:razz::biggrin:

5. bernie

bernie Well-Known Member

I appreciate all the help, but it has been detail stripped and cleaned. However, my bolt does not directly hit the buffer, it contacts a "C" shaped "clip" that connects with both sides of the bolt.

6. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

That c-shaped clip is the buffer, the rubber piece is the buffer pad....should stop short...is that c-shaped clip seated in the rubber pad?

That assembly is simple. Has a hammer plunger, hammer plunger spring, hammer, carrier, carrier spring, sear and sear spring. Those are the parts that work the magic.

Check action bar for binding and carrier to make sure it's not bent or broken. It's the piece of sculpted flat steel that protrudes from the front of the trigger assembly.

Those things rarely fail

7. John Stiles

I'll still give ya $100 for it bernie.....meet me in LR?:razz:

8. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member

NE Ark
    I'd lay a Benjamin on him for it and he wouldn't have to spend $30 on gas to drive to LR. :razz:

9. John Stiles

Aw, gee....outbid agin!:fit:

10. bernie

bernie Well-Known Member

Not to beat a dead horse, but any ideas on a smith?

11. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    Where are you located??

12. bernie

bernie Well-Known Member

Harrisburg is home, but I travel all over eastern AR for work. Primarily Jonesboro, Wynne, Pine Bluff, Little Rock, Monticello, etc.

13. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    You might check with Al at Al's lock and key on Nettelton in Jonesboro, Check with Lynn at Lynn's on 412 west of Paragould. Macks in Stuttgart, Gander Mountain, maybe Ft Thompson in NLR. Someone should be able to take care of you.

14. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Active Member

Gunsmith

Chuck's Gun and Bait in Newport