Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody im from around the hotsprings area. I moved up to Jonesboro this summer and am going to college at ASU. Its 3 and a half hours home...im new to this part of the state and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to a decent place to hunt..im in leases back down south but i cant afford to drive that far every weekend...Please let me know something...an hour or so away is no big deal...thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Hey, I go to ASU as well, but I live in Walnut Ridge. The closest place for you to go would be drive up north (Hwy 49, 25-35 min away) to Paragould and hunt Scatter Creek WMA, there is a couple of gun season (short ones) there and bow hunting all season. Over my way there is Shirey Bay WMA (35-45 mins. away), Permit M/L hunt but some real good bowhunting if you are a serious hunter. Then father west you can go the Harold E. Alexander WMA (60-75 mins. away) with plenty of ground plenty of deer, permit M/G & M/L but bow hunting all season.

There are a couple more around, but those are the three I would (and have) hunt if I were you.

Let me know if you have questions.:up:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey man whats your name? u got facebook or somethin?...thats about all i do is bow hunt...hey i appreciate your help buddy...i imagine ill prolly go walkin some places out this weekend and get familiar with some places...i wonder if you can get a topo map for any of these?

·
Administrator
90,713 Posts
You should be able to find the sizes in the AGFC regs book or online at the AGFC web site. Most of the areas don't have a real high deer population, but the good thing about these swamp areas is that if you do see a buck, it has a real possibility of being a wall hanger.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea thats awesome...im use to seein a ton of deer down south....but scoutin and bein in the tree is what its about...mayb a goodin will slip by me...thats how it is in winona...you may not see a deer for a couple days...but you get around the right doe, at the right time and you have a chance to put somethin on the wall

·
Registered
278 Posts
Dave Donalson WMA near Pocahontas has a good deer population and some giant bucks! ML hunting by permit, but open bow hunting. Just check the water level at Corning before you hunt and bring along a thermocel. :smack:

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
yea thats awesome...im use to seein a ton of deer down south....but scoutin and bein in the tree is what its about...mayb a goodin will slip by me...thats how it is in winona...you may not see a deer for a couple days...but you get around the right doe, at the right time and you have a chance to put somethin on the wall
You may not see as many deer as you're used to, but that NE corner is the top area in the state for big bucks. Stick with it, put your legwork in, and you'll have a chance at something BIG... and not like big for AR, BIG for anywhere.
I'm fortunate enough to have a buddy from over there and hunt some private land just N of Jonesboogie. (Of course, it's a mixed blessing bc that's 5 hrs away from here, so I hunt public land at home 90% of the time).
If it was me, St Francis would be the first place I'd check out. There also may be some small patches of Corps of Engineers land closer to school that you may be able to hunt.

·
Registered
988 Posts
You might send a p.m. to BAYMAN . I think he works at A.S.u> probably pumpped up about tommorows game about now. Go Red Wolfs ooowwww.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
A few thoughts if you're hunting the bottomland WMAs (Big Lake, Black River, Bayou DeView, St Francis, etc)....
1. It's real easy to get lost. One patch of woods looks nearly identical to the next. Make sure you take a compass.
2. The deer are probably harder to pattern than what you're used to. There aren't any hills, ridges, saddles, etc to influence their movement. Deer can meander through the woods with out a regular trail. I found that they seem to travel in relation to water a lot (they might parallel a slough for instance).
3. Get a Thermacell. Hunt once without it and you'll understand why you need one.
4. It can be frustrating. There aren't a ton of deer, and sometimes all the woods look the same so you feel like you're just pitching up a stand and hoping for the best. Unfortunately it can be a trial and error process.

On the plus side, the Delta has, on average, the biggest deer in the state :biggrin:

·
Select Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winne
6,703 Posts
Gonna at LEAST need a set of knee boots. Don't forget something for skeeters. The terrain here's quite a bit different than that of the area your from and things can start looking the same the deeper you get. I'd suggest some kind of guidance and map.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.