Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time around 1976, my dad bought a Marlin 1894 in 44 Magnum. It seems to me that it always has a problem feeding cartridges especially if they had been previously cycled through the rifle. At some point, my oldest brother had possession of the carbine. He did not take good care of it and put it in a safe wet causing damage. I now have the rifle since my dad passed away and would like to get it to where i can use it. Does anyone have a suggestion for a gunsmith?

·
Registered
It changes from time to time
6,269 Posts
Some time around 1976, my dad bought a Marlin 1894 in 44 Magnum. It seems to me that it always has a problem feeding cartridges especially if they had been previously cycled through the rifle. At some point, my oldest brother had possession of the carbine. He did not take good care of it and put it in a safe wet causing damage. I now have the rifle since my dad passed away and would like to get it to where i can use it. Does anyone have a suggestion for a gunsmith?
You going to restore it (mechanical/new bluing/refinishing wood) or just return it to shootable condition? In what shape is the bore?

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You going to restore it (mechanical/new bluing/refinishing wood) or just return it to shootable condition? In what shape is the bore?
A restoration is not in the budget at this time. I'd like to get i it cleaned up really good and returned to shootable condition. I believe the bore is on fair condition.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not sure where your located but Rick's guns in Lonoke is good with older stuff and restoration. I'm not affiliated with him I've just used him a couple of time. He's older and honry but knowledgeable and has a ton of parts others don't.

·
Registered
It changes from time to time
6,269 Posts
A restoration is not in the budget at this time. I'd like to get i it cleaned up really good and returned to shootable condition. I believe the bore is on fair condition.
Depending on how rusty it is, this is something you may be able to do yourself. Several YouTube videos on bringing rusted guns back into shooting condition without full restoration. On the chambering issue, it’s likely something to do with the magazine tube or the loading ramp that you may be able to fix before you hand it over to a smith.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Carry it to Tim Malcom, he's across the street from the Mayflower shooting range. It may take him a while to get to it, but he can get it going as good or better than anyone.
I'll second this. If I had a family item I wanted done right I'd go to Tim's shop. I've taken multiple guns to him and have always been impressed with the results.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Post up a few pics of the gun so we can see what your look'in at...
Your biggest worry might be internal rust...
You should be able to take care of external looks yourself...

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Post up a few pics of the gun so we can see what your look'in at...
Your biggest worry might be internal rust...
You should be able to take care of external looks yourself...
The gunsmith said the internals are in good shape and now he has the externals looking good. I'll post and update with after pictures when i get a chance to shoot it. I wish i had taken some before pictures.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts