Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My uncle owns 280 acres, and myself and 4 other guys just leased it for $550 a year.

Now what ?

I know I need to make a landowners agreement up, saying its just the 5 of us, $550 a year, we'll be responsible for putting up signs and won't hold him liable for accidents etc.

Does anyone have a template or word doc I could use to work one up ?

Nice property, I know it very well (grew up on it for the most part) , its just over the past few years everybody has invited everybody and they leave trash, don't ask permission, one of his cows got killed one year .... typical hunting trash that I wish would just go away :mad:

Anyway, all 5 guys bowhunt, 4 of us traditional bowhunters, its in north central AR and in a unit thats 1 buck only, so we should have some dandy hunting in the coming years if we can keep people off it. Best turkey hunting too.

I've never organized a hunt lease before or been the point guy for it - any advice is appreciated !

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
Set up some basic rules for his protection and the 'clubs' from each other and to protect each other. Guest rules, stand rules, etc. Have each member sign a letter stating they have read it and will abide by it. Make a copy for the owner along with the rules. In the lease agreement write out what you want to do to protect the land, any improvements you want to make, how you post it and your intentions towards trespass. Having everything up front cuts down on confusion and hard feelings.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Tony hit this one on the head!!! Put it in writing, get everyone to sign it, and everyone gets a copy of the final document.

Things to consider: Guests (who, when, how many, rules), stands (type and location), food plots, property management (clearing timber, fertilizer, ...), length of lease (option to renew), fee increase, ...

I have been thinking of a similar situation (leasing land from a family friend). The part I get worried/hung up on is length of lease. I do not want to go and invest my blood, sweat, and tears only to get every built and setup only to loose the lease a year later when the hunting turns around! But that is my personal fear. You have a fair price now, but when the hunting improves somepeople will be willing to pay way more than your current lease obligation.

Be fair, protect yourself, and the land owner. As things change, write them down and keep the club informed.

Enjoy the land!

·
Registered
19,148 Posts
I just leased 280 acres - now what ?
Its time to do some foodplot work, keep the feeders full all year, clean out a spot for the camper, scout it totally, hang some cameras, clear shooting lanes for stands, put out mineral licks, put up posted paint and no trespassing signs. Once you get all this complete, it will then be time to call a few chat board buddies and invite them to hunt with you. It is custom to have all this work completed before making any calls. And you must give them all the deer movement information you have worked so hard for, its just a courtesy.
:pray: :phone: :alright: :dontknow:

·
Registered
22,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
uh ........ no, no high fences thank you !

5 bowhunters, 4 of us traditional shooters. Its in Symalmore so 1 buck only. Its about 1 minute from my Dad's house :wink:

its bordered mostly by public lands, but just hard enough to access (short of going through this 280) that it goes unhunted for the most part. Road hunters kill several deer here every year - I'll be glad to see that stop or hope it stops.

I hope we don't have a lot of trouble with those guys who have stands there that need to take them down

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hey Stealth C, if you know the game warden in that county (or two if there are two in that one), you could probably get some good input from him. If there are road hunters in the area, nothing like a few times of seeing blue lights at night and a good Bambi remote control deer to get them looking for greener pastures. Otherwise, all the notions already placed about cover it. Just remember to keep it a democracy, not a dictatorship. And, always keep safety and the future of the camp in mind with regard to how hunters set their stands and how you treat your neighbors. That's about all I can think of for now. Back to work.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
stealthy I hope you can use the lease agreement I sent you.

I have been running a hunting club for over 17 years and have learned alot by trial and error.

I have found that you need one person in charge. Take input from all the members and vote on things. But one person needs to have over rule power.
You will have disputes over something and sometimes that one person has to make the decision.
Make rules for safety and respect. I have found no need or desire for a houston phone book size rule book.
Try your best to pick and retain members that like each other and ones that are not lazy.

Personally I like at least a 100 acres per hunter but if you are mainly bowhunters then your 5 will probably be ok.

One rule I like is that stands are safe and demand this and enforce it.
I have been amazed at what some people will climb into and think nothing about whether it's safe or not.

The other that is kind of broad is demand that people respect each other!!

If that one is followed then all others will fall into place.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your new venture.

·
Registered
22,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
soarkrebel - I'll simplify what you sent - yes its going to help lots, THANKS

what do you do about hunting each others stands etc ? do your clubs members do that with verbal permission/heads up etc ?

Only my Dad lives close to the pand, the landowner lives on it. Chances that all 5 us are going to be there in any given weekend is slim with exceptions of opening days etc.

I am the point guy on this. I know we have a no guest policy. all 5 guys agree verbally to that. We all bowhunt but muzzleloader and rifle is okay too though we'll not use that much. we'll be responsible for purple painting the place and signs, starting this weekend putting them up.

Right now, we'll do a couple of feeders at most, landowner has cattle running on the pastures

Look forward to seeing how this year goes for sure

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
soarkrebel - I'll simplify what you sent - yes its going to help lots, THANKS

what do you do about hunting each others stands etc ? do your clubs members do that with verbal permission/heads up etc ?

Only my Dad lives close to the pand, the landowner lives on it. Chances that all 5 us are going to be there in any given weekend is slim with exceptions of opening days etc.

I am the point guy on this. I know we have a no guest policy. all 5 guys agree verbally to that. We all bowhunt but muzzleloader and rifle is okay too though we'll not use that much. we'll be responsible for purple painting the place and signs, starting this weekend putting them up.

Right now, we'll do a couple of feeders at most, landowner has cattle running on the pastures

Look forward to seeing how this year goes for sure

That was just a form I got from someone years ago and yep you can change it to suit the need.

With 17 people we decided that everyone would have one permanent stand any others were kind of up for use if you were not there. We still push "ask" if your gonna do it.
A few years ago the group decided that prior to any fixed permenent stand that I would approve it. It has worked out. It has kept folks from getting right up in someones lap.

But I still have an issue on occassion with some but being the head ramrod as I have been called I can stop it.
Just show them another place that is not being hunted and convince them that it's for them and they will have the SPOT and it usually works out.

We have a guest policy and we have been charging 20 bucks a day for using the land for guests. I have some that don't like guests and some that do.
I am working on something that will satisfy everyone or calm them.

Some don't like the fact that right now someone can bring a guest and possibly kill a good buck and only paid 20 bucks to the club.
I am leaning toward our guests helping control our doe count.
2100 acres can hold alot of does.

I can't give any advice on the painting and getting others to get out there and help. That always seems to be a problem getting folks to work out of season.
Since I do most of everything some members want to pay more and me pay less or nothing. I think people miss out on the fun of doing stuff in the off season or they are just lazy.

But with 5 people and if your close you might be able to work all the bumps out easy. I sometimes wish I only had a few to worry about .

I have 600 acres in Saline county that only me and my son hunt and have many ask.
Got no problems there with members cause there ain't none!
Work ..............I am the one!
But my big one in Ouachita county can be a headache..........all year long!!!:smack:

·
Registered
22,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if this takes off a bit, I know 80 acres and 40 acres + the 40 we own that borders this 280 directly ..... that would be 540 ( I think :confused: ) and expanding to about 10 primarily bowhunting guys. Thats NEXT year assuming we like this year and the way it goes

I killed this turkey off it last year after probably a half dozen birds were killed in the first 2 weeks

http://i19.tinypic.com/2qtvihl.jpg

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
if this takes off a bit, I know 80 acres and 40 acres + the 40 we own that borders this 280 directly ..... that would be 540 ( I think :confused: ) and expanding to about 10 primarily bowhunting guys. Thats NEXT year assuming we like this year and the way it goes

I killed this turkey off it last year after probably a half dozen birds were killed in the first 2 weeks

http://i19.tinypic.com/2qtvihl.jpg

Dang stealthy.................I thought you would have TALLER!!!!!:thumb::fit:

This is my advice to you..........if you can get the land ........then get it!!!!!!!

You snooze ............you lose!!!!!!!!!

Plenty of time get one or two more or spread the cost among who you have and ENJOY!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
All the comments above are good. I would suggest you consider forming a non-profit corporation (or LLC) to protect yourselves as well. Most hunting clubs in Arkansas are done in this manner so the members cannot be held personally liable for anything. You'll need to create "Articles of Incorporation" to create the entity, then a set of by-laws that govern the operation of the club (election of officers, creation of Rules, establishing a bank account, authority of the officers, membership requirements/expulsion, etc.).

Articles of Incorporation can be drafted yourself, however, there is specific language that must be included to make it a non-profit. The Arkansas Secretary of State's office/website can be very helpful in this area, and if memory serves me, I believe they even have a sample that can be modified as needed. If you draft the articles yourself, you can file them for $50.00.

A corp or LLC is needed to obtain a Fed ID number. The Fed Id number and corporate resolution are needed to get a checking account in the name of the club. You could always do the good ole' boy route as far as the money goes, and have one guy keep up with it. I wouldn't suggest going that route because it will create future problems.

I'm president of a hunt club South of Malvern (40+ members and 2,550 acres), and prior to us incorporating this past year, the last treasurer kept the clubs money in his personal checking account. We never had an idea of how much money we had or what it was spent on.

Since you have a small amount of land, I'd almost say lease the land yourself, and let the other guys hunt on it (for a fee). Unless you are prepared to pay the whole lease yourself, you definately want to vote on any items that come up, but be realistic....not everything has to be voted on (authority of the officers).

I definately agree with the putting it in writing.....don't do anything verbally. It can cause the best of friends to enemies in the blink of an eye.

I know the stuff I wrote above may sound overwhelming.....it really can be accomplished realitively easy. I do believe, in the long run, it's the best way to go.

PoolShark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts