I have a problem

Discussion in 'General Hunting Topics' started by RPatton86, Dec 8, 2012.

1. RPatton86

RPatton86 Well-Known Member

I was working this week hauling asphalt. Well I found some deer carcases 5 to be exact 2 were bucks. What my problem is why kill a buck if you are not going to keep the horns. The 2 bucks were a 5 point and a 9 point i would say neither were over 2 1/2 but anyway if you dont want the horns why not shoot a doe or just let these bucks walk to get older or for someone else to shoot who knows a youth that has never killed a buck that would be a trophy.

2. gsb77

gsb77 Well-Known Member

Maybe they can't kill does in that zone? In zone 11 you can only kill does opening weekend.

3. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I agree - I would keep the horns. But there are folks who hunt mainly for the meat. Those might have been the first legal deer that walked by them. Horns may not mean anything to them other than legality. I hunted more than thirty times this year before I saw a deer - a buck. The second deer I saw a week later was a buck. Sometimes, "just shooting doe" is not all that easy.

4. Passthrough

Passthrough Account Suspended

It's those darn meat hunters.....no class at all:fit::fit:

sent from my Obama phone

5. dbo89

dbo89 Well-Known Member

I have watched someone throw away a nice 8 away, just because he wanted the deer for meat. He told me if it doesnt have spots its gettin shot. He keeps his family fed.

6. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Well-Known Member

Unless they killed them while trespassing on your property, I really don't see where it's any of your concern.

Was any of the legal meat wasted?

7. tmeredith

tmeredith Platinum Member Redneck Slum Lord

jonesboro
    Can't eat the horns.:rolleyes: :woohoo: I was the first to say that!!!!:woohoo:

8. tmeredith

jonesboro
    Fixed it for ya!!

Obama phone!!:fit:

9. gtlegs

gtlegs Well-Known Member

Much rather find them with the meat cut out and still have the horns vs. horns cut off and still have the meat...

10. bmccullough1

bmccullough1 Well-Known Member

Sounds like they were huntin to eat!

11. RPatton86

RPatton86 Well-Known Member

In road ditch 1/2 mile outside city limits and there were 3 does with the 2 bucks

12. Delbert

Delbert Well-Known Member

You cant eat the horns. Not everyone has antler envy.

13. tmeredith

jonesboro
    I already said that delbert. You can only use that line once per thread!!!

14. ursus

ursus Well-Known Member

A friend of mine is from northern Montana right by the Canadian line. He has killed some huge whitetails but has very little interest in the antlers. One deer he killed scored over 200" and he sawed the skull cap off and threw it in his shed for the mice to chew on. It's hard for me to understand but I guess that everyone's different.

15. RC

RC Well-Known Member

+1

16. pearlsnaps

pearlsnaps Well-Known Member

Could have been poached deer, just for meat.

I know personally i keep any horns, even a little fork horn i found with the skoal once.

Did you cut the horns off and keep em? Or let them lay and continue to waste away like the first person?
    Personal preference, not something to get worked up over in my opinion.

17. gutpile

gutpile Well-Known Member

:fit: