Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been cursed by an affliction with no cure. I dream of turkey hunting every single day of the year, but it always seems to get worse after the first of each year when turkey season begins to creep closer and closer. I have not personally experienced anything in the hunting world that gets my blood boiling like that moment when a gobbler shakes the earth or spit-and-drums in your face as you try to steady your breath, which you can't even hear for the pounding of your heart! I am getting chills just thinking about it. Won't be long now.

Anyone else have the fever?

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
I'm coming down with a case myself. I always seem to have some mild symptoms but they've become worse since seeing big gobbler tracks and fresh scratching while out squirrel hunting this weekend. :thumb:

·
Registered
761 Posts
I know what you mean. I use a week + a couple of days vacation in the spring and I even used a couple of vacation days I had set aside muzzleloader hunting to fall turkey hunt last year.

I can only wish now but when the kids get older I plan on getting out of state some.

·
Registered
13,235 Posts
No doubt about it!! Not much compares to cool, crisp, high pressure spring morning, when the birds are gobblin good!
You think you could come talk to my wife? She thinks that I'm crazy. You might make me look good!
I'm planning on hunting AR, OK, MO, and possibly Alabama this year. I've got a buddy that just got stationed at Fort Rucker, and he said he's seeing birds all over. Season starts there March 15, and my 3 days carryover vacation expire March 31!

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
53,855 Posts
Don't even think about tryin to get me stirred up! I'm ignoring this thread for a reason!:thumb:

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I save pretty much all my vacation for turkey season and luckily have a job and a boss that allows me to come in late to work about any morning that I want to hunt. I haven't missed many Alabama trips in the last 10 or 11 years but probably will this year due to a new baby. My brother and some buddies usually hit about 4 states each spring. It can be done fairly cheap if you camp, eat bologna, and hunt public land like we do. The price of gas won't help much this year though.

My wife hates March, April, and May!!!! I tried to warn her before we married but she didn't listen. I have two boys, a 3 yr old and a 4 month old, and I hope one day to introduce this passion to them.

I am getting chills just thinking about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
You think you could come talk to my wife? She thinks that I'm crazy. You might make me look good!
I'm planning on hunting AR, OK, MO, and possibly Alabama this year. I've got a buddy that just got stationed at Fort Rucker, and he said he's seeing birds all over. Season starts there March 15, and my 3 days carryover vacation expire March 31!
I prob could, I bet it wouldnt do any good though! They don't seem to understand although I have one that comes along with me now and then and enjoys it and all she ever says is about this time of year "will you be here at all in March/April or May" my standard reply is I'll be gone a lot, but when I'm here I'm available! The good thing is this is it's all she knows, since she's know me I'm gone in the spring and fall/winter.
Gas will eat some $ this year for sure, but you can't take it with you!

·
Member<br>2012 Photo Contest Winner
1,380 Posts
picked up the new Primos Truth video the other day, have watched it about 5times, it is actually playing right now...I am going to OK and MO this year, I got taught alot in MO last year by them Mtn birds but it was leasons that I can carry with me to OK and back to MO this year so I am looking forward to it to say the least.....I love the whack of an arrow going through a buck, I love the sight of mallards coming in with there feet down, I love the sounded of a dog treed hard on a bare winter tree, BUT Love doesn't describe the feelings I have right as I squeeze the trigger on a hammerin' struttin' long beard....

·
Registered
401 Posts
There have been 2 gobblers strutting every morning in a field outside of where I work (Texas Instruments, Sherman, Texas). That will get your blood pumping. These RIOs gobble and strut year round. I have heard them gobbling every breath while I was duck hunting in December and January.

As much as I love it (I cut my teeth on Clark and Dallas County Easterns), I never have traveled from state to state. I would love to do that some day. I can't stand to be away from my 2 boys (22 months and 5 years) very much so these days I hunt here in Texas and spend about 3-4 days in Arkansas. A good year is a couple of birds in Arkansas and a couple in Texas. Some days I hope to stack them up like you guys do.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I saw three good gobblers from my deerstand on New Years Day.Just as soon as I get this duck seizure under controll I feel sure turkey fever will set in.

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
I've got 6 days of carryover vacation to use by the end of March. The only problem is that I can't talk anyone into going turkey hunting in MS or AL with me. Every other year they are begging me to go with them. :smack:

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,524 Posts
Ya'll mean it's exciting when the the first whooper wheel sings out in the morning. Maybe it's when the first owl hoots and a Longbeard cuts him off with a thundering gobble, which makes your hair stand up on the back of your neck. Or it could possibly be the chill bumps you recieve when you first see that white head coming through the woods. For me it's all this combined along with the times I share with my family and friends while hunting across the southeast.

I'll be hunting AL, AR, and KS for sure and hopefully be able to throw in a few more (TX & MS) if I can swing the time off from work. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,049 Posts
I am getting it too myself- saw 2 gobblers Sunday in one of our plots and back during gun season had two longbeards gobble 26 times while I was above them in my climber. I do most of my hunting above Mt Ida and last few years have been tough ones!Pressure from too many folks and those that will run to your set-up- add to that the daily barrage of dogs running has about took the enjoyment out of it! But the wife and I are putting together a South Dakota trip to the Black hills I am hoping works out for us and maybe it wont be so bad.:thumb:

·
Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner
1,110 Posts
man....i have that fever all year round. it drives my wife crazy.....nothing like a sunrise and a hammerhead thunder chicken! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts