Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suck at turkey hunting. I've tried for the last three years and haven't even seen a tom turkey during the season. I've footprinted many a miles of public ground over the last month but only heard five gobbles. But I'm gonna be out there failing miserably on Saturday morning and enjoy every minute of it!

·
Banned
20,810 Posts
I haven't killed a bird in AR since 2009.... The last 3 years I haven't missed a day of the season unless it was raining.

I've got you beat by a country mile and I think I've got the title "worst turkey hunter in the world" wrapped up.... :up:

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the first step is admitting the problem, but I'd say three years without killing one, on public land, without a mentor, well you probably don't suck as bad as you think you suck.
I had a gobbler firing off like mad for my daughter during the youth hunt last year out at Chaffee. He came to about 50 yards when some window licker started raping a box call about 150 yards away.

So, when I don't suck other hunters screw me...

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I suck at turkey hunting. I've tried for the last three years and haven't even seen a tom turkey during the season. I've footprinted many a miles of public ground over the last month but only heard five gobbles. But I'm gonna be out there failing miserably on Saturday morning and enjoy every minute of it!
If you have a blind set it up in a area to know birds are working. Pack a lunch and sit all day with a decoy out. Call softly every 20-30 mins and you will be surprised what may come by. Killed more gobblers that way in Ar that never gobbled and if I wasn't in a blind I'm sure I would of been busted before I knew a bird was there.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't killed a bird in AR since 2009.... The last 3 years I haven't missed a day of the season unless it was raining.

I've got you beat by a country mile and I think I've got the title "worst turkey hunter in the world" wrapped up.... :up:
I'm sure I'd have the same track record as you, but Uncle Sugar has booked me for a few vacations over the years so I've missed a season or two...

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
Like 7 point said, Find you a mentor that's willing to hunt with you. My dad hardly ever turkey hunted so I had only been twice my whole life up until a few years ago. Hunted two years on my own, I could locate birds but never got set up to work on any of them. I had no clue on what I was doing lol. 7 point has been nice enough to let me tag along last year and again this year. Hopefully we can get on one, if not there will be an opening for a new mentor! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
14,464 Posts
I killed two jakes the first day I ever turkey hunted in my life (wasn't aware of the 1 per day rule). The opening day the following year I had a Tom fly off the roost and land 25 yards from me and I killed him. I told the guys that were teaching me how to turkey hunt, "I thought you guys said this was difficult, I've been twice and killed three, turkeys are easy"

Five years later I killed my fourth...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.