I guess I don't understand,

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by cables, Dec 15, 2010.

1. cables

cables Well-Known Member

If a buck that has shed its antlers walk by, would you shoot it?

Me yes, I don't see a reason on sitting on a buck tag (or 2) if they are already dropping them. Chances are you won't see another one with antlers by the end of season.

I am not complaining about people, I just dont see the logic? Legal deer=pass?

2. NWA Bowhntr

NWA Bowhntr Well-Known Member

I wouldn't, if I want to kill a buck he has to have antlers. If I want to kill a deer for meat I will shoot a doe with my bow, but thats just me.

3. Where's my popcorn? This should get interesting. :biggrin:

4. SARAH

SARAH Well-Known Member

x2 just me personally if I am shooting a buck I want some antlers meat I will take a doe.

5. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Well-Known Member

No sense in me voicing my opinion on this one. If you use that logic, then I suppose you would kill him.

6. Whiskey River

Whiskey River Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner<br>2

Why do you say this. I have seen bucks shed as early as Christmas, and have seen them hold on to them through Feb. 2nd biggest buck I ever killed was on Jan 26th. My brother missed a good buck one year on Feb 28th, so there's always a chance, though it may be slim, of seeing another buck. I myself don't see why someone would shoot a shed buck. :twocents:

7. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member

X2. In fact, if I am meat hunting, I would RATHER kill a doe than a buck. There are couple of nice bucks in my area I have been hunting all fall - dang sure aint going to risk shooting one of them without horns. I am not going to starve if I don't fill all my tags. There is no legal requirement that all tags must be used by the end of season.

8. Maximaman

Maximaman Well-Known Member

Can't you use that buck tag as a doe tag ? It does say deer tag !

9. pruitt76

pruitt76 Well-Known Member

We had photos of bucks on our place last year with both antlers as late as February. Every year is different and just because one deer has dropped his antlers doesn't mean they all have.

Personally, if I'm hunting for meat, it will be a doe. I'm not looking to burn all of my tags. I typically only shoot a couple of deer a year and that is plenty for my wife and I to eat.

10. If his antlers are shed, how do you know if he's legal or not? I would pass.

11. AR_deerslayer

AR_deerslayer Well-Known Member

I shoot does for meat and to fill tags . if Im gonna shoot a buck it will be a nice one whether with a bow or gun

12. Dark Timber Stalker

Dark Timber Stalker Well-Known Member

One of my buddies had been seeing this dandy 10-point and hadn't got a shot. Well, he hadn't shot a deer yet and it was in late December so he decided he would take a doe if given the chance. In the fading afternoon light he seen a deer come into the woodline. It was by itself and as the light grew dimmer he decided to shoot this "doe" as it appeared. When he got to the fallen deer on further inspection he could see that it was the big buck without its horns! Dang it boy! :banghead: If you don't want a chance next year at them I guess by all means kill 'em all.

13. zane

zane Well-Known Member

Actually, that is a good point. Say a fork horn walks by you on Tuesday- not legal to shoot.

Wednesday he walks by having shed his antlers Tuesday night- now legal??

That is funny once you think about it:biggrin:

14. stingerslinger

stingerslinger Well-Known Member

Guess i don't see your logic.

15. Wes Ramsey

Wes Ramsey Well-Known Member

Perfectly legal. He would fall under the 2" or less rule, because 0 < 2 :up: I hadn't thought about the young ones dropping their antlers. That could make for some great late season buck hunting for me this year! Guess I need to get some good binos so I can tell for sure what I'm shooting.

16. Dark Timber Stalker

Dark Timber Stalker Well-Known Member

So if you have two 10-points standing in the field one with his rack and the other without you shoot the one that has lost his horns already??? :head:
    You like the extra exercise of dragging a deer without horns? lol.

17. green_head_getter

green_head_getter Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner

If one didn't have horns you wouldn't have two 10 points would you. That really made no sense but I see what you were trying to do there DTS

18. arcountryboy

arcountryboy Well-Known Member

Kill it, they all taste good. If I have a nice 10 point and one that has dropped his antlers, of course I'm gonna take the 10 (need a new coat rack anyway), but if I have just one standing there that has dropped his antlers, of course I'm going to take it. They both taste the same to me! Of course, I'll also shoot a doe in Feb. even though she may be pregnant.

19. .270Win

.270Win Super Moderator<br>Forum Sponsor<br>'07 Deer Hunti

Exactly.

.270Win

20. cables

cables Well-Known Member

Well I knew there had to be someone that saw things the same way as I do. I donot understand letting a legal deer walk. Everyone is saying I"I will shot a doe if I wanted meat", but a doe didn't walk by and you had a buck standing in front of you with bloody spots on its head, its legal, its mature, why not shoot.

It why shot any buck if you are worried about him "not" being next?

And yes If therre was one with and one without antlers I would shoot the one with, but that was not the question.

I let a doe walk the first morning of a permit hunt this year during thinking a buck would be by because everyone was saying "the bucks are chasing hard right now" and or take a doe later in the hunt. Well guess what, stupidest move I ever did, yeah I saw a buck twice that weekend, a 3pt. and not another deer the rest of the permit hunt. Still kicking myself in the butt.

I can understand if you have kill 3 or 4 deer and you are just waiting for the one, but if you have killed only 1 or none, would you like a shed buck walk, although it is legal?